Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grabber70Mach

Idle RPM's

Working on a 69 Mustang with a stock 302 and auto trans. The 69 Shop manuel I have says that the low idle should be 550rpm's, when I set it at this it is fine until you drive the car. If you make a sharp turn or turn the headlights on it will stall. It does have power steering, any ideals as to what is causing this?

Working on a 69 Mustang with a stock 302 and auto trans. The 69 Shop manuel I have says that the low idle should be 550rpm's, when I set it at this it is fine until you drive the car. If you make a sharp turn or turn the headlights on it will stall. It does have power steering, any ideals as to what is causing this?

Yeah, sometimes it's a real juggling trick with an automatic. If you set it too high, you're good while in drive, but in park it'll idle too high and want to diesel on when you shut it down.

Yeah, sometimes it's a real juggling trick with an automatic. If you set it too high, you're good while in drive, but in park it'll idle too high and want to diesel on when you shut it down.

Sounds to me its a carburator problem, if you going around turns an it's stalling, sounds like your excellator pump and float might be the problem. When I bought my 69 coupe 2 weeks ago it has an Edelbrock 1406 600cfm and it was gunked up with varnish from old gas and wouldn't hold an idle below 1000 rpms and would stall on turns. I tried to turn set the rpm's down but the car would stall even more and setting the idle up was hard on the automatic transmission... I rebuilt the carburator and then tuned it per Edelbrock specs, and now the car will run fine at the Ford factory settings. You might just pop the top of your carburator off and look inside, if you see any brown junk then a rebuild might be what you need, on mine every little hole was plugged & gummed up.... another problem that hides and acts like a fuel or idle problem is a vacuum leak.

Sounds to me its a carburator problem, if you going around turns an it's stalling, sounds like your excellator pump and float might be the problem. When I bought my 69 coupe 2 weeks ago it has an Edelbrock 1406 600cfm and it was gunked up with varnish from old gas and wouldn't hold an idle below 1000 rpms and would stall on turns. I tried to turn set the rpm's down but the car would stall even more and setting the idle up was hard on the automatic transmission... I rebuilt the carburator and then tuned it per Edelbrock specs, and now the car will run fine at the Ford factory settings. You might just pop the top of your carburator off and look inside, if you see any brown junk then a rebuild might be what you need, on mine every little hole was plugged & gummed up.... another problem that hides and acts like a fuel or idle problem is a vacuum leak.

OK the Edlebrock 1406 is easy to rebuild, I used 2 can of carburator cleaner. If you take off the top of the carburator, you'll see what looks like 2 squirters toward the front and angeled into the 2 ports... Watch out when you remove the 2 or 3 screws to remove it. There is a ball bearing down inside, don't lose it...otherwise it's just taking a part and cleaning, make sure to get a fine wire took into the small holes that are clogged. If you have access to an air compressor that will help blow things out. I used the same gaskets since the carburator was less that 2 years old.

Tuning is easy..... your 2 front screws turn each one for maxium RPM's the once you have done that turn each one a 1/4 turn clockwise to lean it perfect. That way you won't be running rich, that's in their manual. Then set your idle.... Also be aware of your altitude, I'm 5000 up so I'm always watching for black spark plugs... if your less than 3000 feet there is no worry and the stock parts inside when you bought it will work fine....

Any questions just post, you might try tuning the carburator first if the tuning fails then go ahead and rebuild it.

OK the Edlebrock 1406 is easy to rebuild, I used 2 can of carburator cleaner. If you take off the top of the carburator, you'll see what looks like 2 squirters toward the front and angeled into the 2 ports... Watch out when you remove the 2 or 3 screws to remove it. There is a ball bearing down inside, don't lose it...otherwise it's just taking a part and cleaning, make sure to get a fine wire took into the small holes that are clogged. If you have access to an air compressor that will help blow things out. I used the same gaskets since the carburator was less that 2 years old.

Tuning is easy..... your 2 front screws turn each one for maxium RPM's the once you have done that turn each one a 1/4 turn clockwise to lean it perfect. That way you won't be running rich, that's in their manual. Then set your idle.... Also be aware of your altitude, I'm 5000 up so I'm always watching for black spark plugs... if your less than 3000 feet there is no worry and the stock parts inside when you bought it will work fine....

Any questions just post, you might try tuning the carburator first if the tuning fails then go ahead and rebuild it.

Do you know if the Carter Performance 9506 series 4 bl is similar to the edelbrock you mentioned regarding making it leaner? There are two screws at the base as well. I've been having trouble finding detailed info on this carb. I just got my 69 coupe..

Yes I have a Carter AFB 750 CFM on one of my other cars and it's the same carburetor as the Edelbrocks...

So yes your tuning should be the same as the Edelbrocks.

I found an internet site that has a tips for Carters.

http://www.carburetor.ca/carbs/tech/Carter/AFB-AVS-index.html

If your carburetor doesn't need rebuilding and your not above 3000 feet in altitude you shouldn't have any problems tuning it..... According to an Edelbrock tech I spoke with if you let a car sit for more than 2 months the gas will start changing and gum up the carburetor so I at least drive all my cars every 2 weeks just to be safe.

You might be OK at 3200 feet. I bought a new Edlebrock 1406, 600 CFM for my 71 Chevelle with a 350 and never had to make any part changes inside the carburetor and seems to lean out just fine....The only problem I had traveling from Prescott Valley, Az. at 5000 feet to Ontario, California last June for a carshow was California's cheap summer gas..ping ping ping.... My 69 Mustang coupe also has the Edlebrock 1406 and I haven't had any issues with it since rebuilding it and running it for the last 2 months since I bought the car. The only adjustment at 3200 might be a slight adjustment for the cooler winter weather.... I think I read it in the Edlebrock carburetor manual.... Let me know how you come out.... Sorry about the Mopar site, (he he he) can't win them all. It was interesting reading about the Ford Carter carburetor and what it's made of...