Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unfrozen1969

To build or not to build

How do I take out the steering column, chrome around the windshield on the convertible, take off a door panel? I have tried taking off the steering wheel, got the large nut removed form the center, but the thing won't budge, is there anything else that I need to do to get it off. I am affraid of damaging something.

Bill

How do I take out the steering column, chrome around the windshield on the convertible, take off a door panel? I have tried taking off the steering wheel, got the large nut removed form the center, but the thing won't budge, is there anything else that I need to do to get it off. I am affraid of damaging something.

Bill

ok, i change my position on the coupe, it's a parts car. it could be rebuilt but there is so much bad metal i'm not sure there's enough good metal left to weld new metal too. that's too bad because that is a nicely optioned car; v8, automatic, ps, pdb, ac, deluxe interior coupe.

you'll need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off, or you can leave the wheel attached to the column and pull the entire column. there are 2 bolts right under the dash and 4 more (i think) on the firewall and then another 2 at the steering gear box.

ok, i change my position on the coupe, it's a parts car. it could be rebuilt but there is so much bad metal i'm not sure there's enough good metal left to weld new metal too. that's too bad because that is a nicely optioned car; v8, automatic, ps, pdb, ac, deluxe interior coupe.

you'll need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off, or you can leave the wheel attached to the column and pull the entire column. there are 2 bolts right under the dash and 4 more (i think) on the firewall and then another 2 at the steering gear box.

Bill

The chrome around the windshield is actually stainless steel, remove the screws from the top and side piece inside the door jamb and then the bottom strip is clipped in and will pop right out.

I really don't think it's worth saving that coupe either, it's way far gone. If you do part it out I may be interested in the center dash ashtray/lighter unit.

Bill

The chrome around the windshield is actually stainless steel, remove the screws from the top and side piece inside the door jamb and then the bottom strip is clipped in and will pop right out.

I really don't think it's worth saving that coupe either, it's way far gone. If you do part it out I may be interested in the center dash ashtray/lighter unit.

I just noticed your reply on my project thread and hope I can chime in something here that will be helpful. Being in Canada is obviously something that makes this hobby more exspensive and difficult than for me. But it also as you said increases the desireability of a mustang when you're all done and it's on the road.

Since your standpoint is not to turn a proft but rather create an heirloom it puts you in a different position than one based simply on the financial aspect. My personal opinion is this....

If you can find another coupe with less rust, even if it's a stripped shell. Then drop in the 351 and restomod the hell of out it so it's a fun reliable car that is based more on performance than cruising. With the options you have on you coupe and vert you already are ahead of the game. Disc brakes/351 displacement piece that one together in time for your son to drive, and most likely much sooner. The only thing to slow you down would be money.

Then if you really want to save one the two cars try and save the vert......I realize it is rusted to hell.......but you have no time limit on when it needs to be ready by. In that case drop in a stockish 302 auto trans and have it be a nice cruiser. I just went for a ride in a buddy of mines 65 vert that his dad just bought this past week. Has a 289 with a 4 speed and the dual exhaust plus open air made that car AWESOME. No one will argue that the vert isn't a more desirable car on those hot summer days.

I'm also not sure of your ability to perform mech duties. I.E. welding/rebuilding the engine. But if you say you are incapable then I'm goin to call bullshit right now. With the time frame you have there is every reason in the world that you should be able to learn as you go. And teach your son at the same time, not only will he appreciate it but he can help out too especially once he's older.

I think that without a doubt you should start a stang project, but I would hate to see you get turned off on this whole thing becuase you select an overly challenging first car. Repairing the rust on the coupe and the vert would alone take about a year on my work schedule and be very tiresome after the first month. It's not that I'm saying those cars aren't worth saving. But if you are looking for a fun car to drive, and not worried about resale then you may be better off finding a slightly more solid car to start with like a coupe or something.

In any case you should make sure you're doing this because you enjoy it, it seems to me that, that is your motivation. And I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Hell if I can do it, anybody can :shifty:

I just noticed your reply on my project thread and hope I can chime in something here that will be helpful. Being in Canada is obviously something that makes this hobby more exspensive and difficult than for me. But it also as you said increases the desireability of a mustang when you're all done and it's on the road.

Since your standpoint is not to turn a proft but rather create an heirloom it puts you in a different position than one based simply on the financial aspect. My personal opinion is this....

If you can find another coupe with less rust, even if it's a stripped shell. Then drop in the 351 and restomod the hell of out it so it's a fun reliable car that is based more on performance than cruising. With the options you have on you coupe and vert you already are ahead of the game. Disc brakes/351 displacement piece that one together in time for your son to drive, and most likely much sooner. The only thing to slow you down would be money.

Then if you really want to save one the two cars try and save the vert......I realize it is rusted to hell.......but you have no time limit on when it needs to be ready by. In that case drop in a stockish 302 auto trans and have it be a nice cruiser. I just went for a ride in a buddy of mines 65 vert that his dad just bought this past week. Has a 289 with a 4 speed and the dual exhaust plus open air made that car AWESOME. No one will argue that the vert isn't a more desirable car on those hot summer days.

I'm also not sure of your ability to perform mech duties. I.E. welding/rebuilding the engine. But if you say you are incapable then I'm goin to call bullshit right now. With the time frame you have there is every reason in the world that you should be able to learn as you go. And teach your son at the same time, not only will he appreciate it but he can help out too especially once he's older.

I think that without a doubt you should start a stang project, but I would hate to see you get turned off on this whole thing becuase you select an overly challenging first car. Repairing the rust on the coupe and the vert would alone take about a year on my work schedule and be very tiresome after the first month. It's not that I'm saying those cars aren't worth saving. But if you are looking for a fun car to drive, and not worried about resale then you may be better off finding a slightly more solid car to start with like a coupe or something.

In any case you should make sure you're doing this because you enjoy it, it seems to me that, that is your motivation. And I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Hell if I can do it, anybody can :shifty:

Do I know you?

You have hit the nail on the head. I am doing this because I love it, and to be honest, I am a poor mustang lover. I was fortunate to stumble upon these two cars at a good price. I have parted out a 73 convertible mustang before as I was doing a body off resto on a 72 convertible at the time. What I did wrong there, was that I jumped in too soon and stripped a solid car down for rebuild, and then had no money or space to finish the job. If I had only stored that car and collected parts until I was ready, I would have been ahead of the game. So that is where I am now. I am saving the parts that I think I need, and hopifully sell off a few to make my money back. All the while have a hoot of time doing it and teaching my son along the way. Someone has to pass on this Mustang Bug.

I am really thankful for this site and guys like you who are willing to "say it as it is", because it goes to the grain of who we are as Mustang enthusiasts. I have my eye on a few shells around but they are not cheap. I am always looking and I will have one someday soon.

Regards,

Bill

Do I know you?

You have hit the nail on the head. I am doing this because I love it, and to be honest, I am a poor mustang lover. I was fortunate to stumble upon these two cars at a good price. I have parted out a 73 convertible mustang before as I was doing a body off resto on a 72 convertible at the time. What I did wrong there, was that I jumped in too soon and stripped a solid car down for rebuild, and then had no money or space to finish the job. If I had only stored that car and collected parts until I was ready, I would have been ahead of the game. So that is where I am now. I am saving the parts that I think I need, and hopifully sell off a few to make my money back. All the while have a hoot of time doing it and teaching my son along the way. Someone has to pass on this Mustang Bug.

I am really thankful for this site and guys like you who are willing to "say it as it is", because it goes to the grain of who we are as Mustang enthusiasts. I have my eye on a few shells around but they are not cheap. I am always looking and I will have one someday soon.

Regards,

Bill

I am doing this because I love it, and to be honest, I am a poor mustang lover.

Well Bill so long as that's the reason you're doing it then you're bound to have a good time with whatever car you end up building. Where in Canada are you anyways? I could try and keep an eye on the internet listings for you.

I am doing this because I love it, and to be honest, I am a poor mustang lover.

Well Bill so long as that's the reason you're doing it then you're bound to have a good time with whatever car you end up building. Where in Canada are you anyways? I could try and keep an eye on the internet listings for you.

I am in Ottawa, which is an hour away from Montreal, about 3-4 hours from Syracuse. I woud appreciate knowing of any potential prospects that you see. I have seen a few here and in the Toronto region, but were way out of my price range.

I purposely drive country roads and try to see behind barns and in fields waiting to find that 69 shelby or Boss that is looking for a new home....it amazes me what people have stowed away in their barns...

Regards,

Bill

I am in Ottawa, which is an hour away from Montreal, about 3-4 hours from Syracuse. I woud appreciate knowing of any potential prospects that you see. I have seen a few here and in the Toronto region, but were way out of my price range.

I purposely drive country roads and try to see behind barns and in fields waiting to find that 69 shelby or Boss that is looking for a new home....it amazes me what people have stowed away in their barns...

Regards,

Bill

hi Bill, sorry to get your hopes up on the coupe but from those first pics you posted it didn't look nearly as bad as it really is but to be honest if you had the time and the money you could bring both of those cars back from the grave but it really wouldn't be worth the time or especially the money, but i have seen people save cars in worse shape. the problem is that those cars were extremely rare one of a very, very few cars like it. one of them was one of the first 20 or so 68-1/2 428CJ cars and i believe it was fully loaded GT coupe with floor and roof consoles and everything, it was worth saving and worth the time and money to save it.

you wanted to see some pics of my car, well click the link below and check out my gallery, the latest pics are on the last page. i've been promising these guys some new pics of the car all cleaned up and not being rained on for a while now but i've been having too much fine driving it to get any new pics.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt

hi Bill, sorry to get your hopes up on the coupe but from those first pics you posted it didn't look nearly as bad as it really is but to be honest if you had the time and the money you could bring both of those cars back from the grave but it really wouldn't be worth the time or especially the money, but i have seen people save cars in worse shape. the problem is that those cars were extremely rare one of a very, very few cars like it. one of them was one of the first 20 or so 68-1/2 428CJ cars and i believe it was fully loaded GT coupe with floor and roof consoles and everything, it was worth saving and worth the time and money to save it.

you wanted to see some pics of my car, well click the link below and check out my gallery, the latest pics are on the last page. i've been promising these guys some new pics of the car all cleaned up and not being rained on for a while now but i've been having too much fine driving it to get any new pics.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt

Bill,

You're doing the right thing by parting these two tired ponies out. Bnickel is right, with enough time, patience, effort and money (especially money) you can save virtually any car, but why bother unless it is something rare? You'll drive yourself nuts and chances are the project will not turn out as well as you like, if you manage to finish it at all. Spend the money you would have spent on patching these cars up on a more solid car and in the long run you'll be miles ahead. Good luck.

Bill,

You're doing the right thing by parting these two tired ponies out. Bnickel is right, with enough time, patience, effort and money (especially money) you can save virtually any car, but why bother unless it is something rare? You'll drive yourself nuts and chances are the project will not turn out as well as you like, if you manage to finish it at all. Spend the money you would have spent on patching these cars up on a more solid car and in the long run you'll be miles ahead. Good luck.

well, i can tell you for sure that the coupe is kind of an oddity and pretty well loaded for a coupe too. i still recommend ordering the Marti report for the coupe before you put it out to pasture completely and crush it. go ahead and part it out, there really isn't anything so rare on it that it can located fairly easily but don't crush the shell just yet, you might fnd out this is one of only handful of similarly equipped cars and someone might want to resurrect it, even if it's not you.

Just as a precaution I will get a Marti report done on line. The car is sitting fine where it is, and if it truly is a rare vehicle, then it can sit some longer until I decide what to do with it. Unlike the convertible which is in the shape of a "V", with the doors holding it together.

Does the Marti report come electronically or through the mail?

I will let you know how it goes.

Bill

Just as a precaution I will get a Marti report done on line. The car is sitting fine where it is, and if it truly is a rare vehicle, then it can sit some longer until I decide what to do with it. Unlike the convertible which is in the shape of a "V", with the doors holding it together.

Does the Marti report come electronically or through the mail?

I will let you know how it goes.

Bill

snail mail.