Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unfrozen1969

To build or not to build

man, that poor old vert just makes me sad. that poor car looks like it's been sitting up the bottom of the doors in the ocean for the last 20 years.

the coupe really, still doesn't look that bad though. new floors, quarters and rear frame rails and it would probably be a decent car again. you know for some guys in the mid-west and on the east coast that car is what they'd call an easy project.

man, that poor old vert just makes me sad. that poor car looks like it's been sitting up the bottom of the doors in the ocean for the last 20 years.

the coupe really, still doesn't look that bad though. new floors, quarters and rear frame rails and it would probably be a decent car again. you know for some guys in the mid-west and on the east coast that car is what they'd call an easy project.

You are just teasing me aren't you. I have considered puttting the car back to sellable condition, but I probably wouldn't get as muc out as I put in. I will see what the Spring holds. I want to get the convertible done before winter.

Bill

You are just teasing me aren't you. I have considered puttting the car back to sellable condition, but I probably wouldn't get as muc out as I put in. I will see what the Spring holds. I want to get the convertible done before winter.

Bill

Bill

no, i'm not teasing you. i still think you should at least get the marti report and see how many are equipped like yours, you might be very surprised. while it's true that a coupe will never be worth as much as a fastback and you might not get your money back if you try to sell it but if you want a nice cruiser and aren't worried about resale value, at least in the next 5 years or so, then it just might be worth fixing. if you just want to flip it and make a quick buck then no, don't fix it. i guess it really depends on what you want out of it.

take a few more pics of the underside, front and back, and post them up and let us see how bad it really is. if it needs front and rear frame rails, both quarters, trunk floor, trunk drop offs, torque boxes and pretty much everything else then it's probably not worth trying to save, if the front frame rails are in decent shape and the rest of the body, like the cowl, doors and fenders, rocker panels are in decent shape it really might be worth trying to save. i'm just one of those guys that hates to see a fairly well optioned car die at the hands of the crusher, if i only had the money to save the ones i find.

my car had a bit of rust in it as well, not near the extent yours did but there was quite a bit of patching that took place to get the body in nice shape. most of mine was under the vinyl top though, from the car living outside all it's life in houston but we did have to do the normal patches around the rear wheelwells and the lower quarter on the passenger side too.

Bill

no, i'm not teasing you. i still think you should at least get the marti report and see how many are equipped like yours, you might be very surprised. while it's true that a coupe will never be worth as much as a fastback and you might not get your money back if you try to sell it but if you want a nice cruiser and aren't worried about resale value, at least in the next 5 years or so, then it just might be worth fixing. if you just want to flip it and make a quick buck then no, don't fix it. i guess it really depends on what you want out of it.

take a few more pics of the underside, front and back, and post them up and let us see how bad it really is. if it needs front and rear frame rails, both quarters, trunk floor, trunk drop offs, torque boxes and pretty much everything else then it's probably not worth trying to save, if the front frame rails are in decent shape and the rest of the body, like the cowl, doors and fenders, rocker panels are in decent shape it really might be worth trying to save. i'm just one of those guys that hates to see a fairly well optioned car die at the hands of the crusher, if i only had the money to save the ones i find.

my car had a bit of rust in it as well, not near the extent yours did but there was quite a bit of patching that took place to get the body in nice shape. most of mine was under the vinyl top though, from the car living outside all it's life in houston but we did have to do the normal patches around the rear wheelwells and the lower quarter on the passenger side too.

I will try to post some photos today. There is a fair amount of body work and frame rail work to be done, but the car appears to be solid otherwise. The benefit is that I have some parts form the convertible that can be transfered over to the coupe. The 351 in the convertible is a fresher engine, and is obviously not an original motor, but it may be repairable. I have two interiors and an assortment of other parts as well.

I have been pondering building a driver. The vinyl roof would have to come of as the top is splitting from the rust. My other problem is getting the car registered. I will have to work with the previous owner some more to get it done. I will also try to get the marti report as well. I will most likely think about over the winter and see what the Spring has to offer.

Pics soon to come.

Bill

I will try to post some photos today. There is a fair amount of body work and frame rail work to be done, but the car appears to be solid otherwise. The benefit is that I have some parts form the convertible that can be transfered over to the coupe. The 351 in the convertible is a fresher engine, and is obviously not an original motor, but it may be repairable. I have two interiors and an assortment of other parts as well.

I have been pondering building a driver. The vinyl roof would have to come of as the top is splitting from the rust. My other problem is getting the car registered. I will have to work with the previous owner some more to get it done. I will also try to get the marti report as well. I will most likely think about over the winter and see what the Spring has to offer.

Pics soon to come.

Bill

These are the pics from the 69 coupe. It is in pretty rough shape, and is most likely salvagiable, only taking time and money. It would be a big job, and it maybe wise for me to get this car together with allof the necessary parts for someone else to restore.

These are the pics from the 69 coupe. It is in pretty rough shape, and is most likely salvagiable, only taking time and money. It would be a big job, and it maybe wise for me to get this car together with allof the necessary parts for someone else to restore.

As you can see, someone tried to restore this car back in the day when parts were not re-manufactured. The worst case scenario is that this car becomes a project car for my son and I for when he is able to drive. He is currently 9 years old.

Do not get me wrong, I am in this for the purpose of owning a mustang. My goal in my life is to have three mustangs, one for each of my children. They are getting good at spotting cars on the road, and my 4 year old girl calls any old muscle car a mustang. Mustangs are far and few between up here, there are alot of Mopars in lieu. My opinion around parting out a car is not to make money per se, as there are better ways to do that, I feel that I am helping others with their projects by providing parts for them. If I were to restore this coupe, I too would be in the same boat as others, and maybe looking for parts.

Anyways, let me know your opinion and thoughts. I am in no hurray and I am enjoying being a Mustang owner for what it is worth. Send pics of your coupe for me.

Bill

As you can see, someone tried to restore this car back in the day when parts were not re-manufactured. The worst case scenario is that this car becomes a project car for my son and I for when he is able to drive. He is currently 9 years old.

Do not get me wrong, I am in this for the purpose of owning a mustang. My goal in my life is to have three mustangs, one for each of my children. They are getting good at spotting cars on the road, and my 4 year old girl calls any old muscle car a mustang. Mustangs are far and few between up here, there are alot of Mopars in lieu. My opinion around parting out a car is not to make money per se, as there are better ways to do that, I feel that I am helping others with their projects by providing parts for them. If I were to restore this coupe, I too would be in the same boat as others, and maybe looking for parts.

Anyways, let me know your opinion and thoughts. I am in no hurray and I am enjoying being a Mustang owner for what it is worth. Send pics of your coupe for me.

Bill