Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wantahertzdonut

JMC Hydraulic Kit- Hydraulic Throwout Bearing Option?

I'm revamping my manual conversion for my car since I see there's enough complaints out there about cable conversions melting when headers are involved.

I'm going with the JMC kit because I'm sick of pieceing kits together on my own and it gets rave reviews. I am putting a Tremec TKO600 in, and when I was looking to buy today I noticed they now have an option for a kit with a hydraulic throwout bearing. Has anyone used this? Is it worth the extra $120?

I know this is what modern transmissions use, and it sounds intriguing. Just sucks that it's $560 from JMC motorsports.

Here is a list of what it takes to make a jmc kit

Parts List: CNC 711-3/4 Stainless Steel Master Cylinder CarShop Inc. $61.95

CNC 305-B Push Style Slave Cylinder CarShop Inc. $49.95

LONGACRE 2805 Hydraulic Clutch Line 36” CarShop Inc. $28.95

CNC 1312 ADJUSTING ROD FOR 305-B CarShop Inc. $13.95

5/16-24 Ball Joint Rod End McMaster $5.50

Remote Clutch Reservoir Salvage Yard $10.00

Clutch Arm Return Spring Texas Mustang $7.00

T5 hydraulic slave mounting bracket + hardware $49 from daze cars

http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/test

Miscellaneous bolts, washers, screws $8.00

I also built my own using pretty much the same parts as above, except I built my own simplified bracket (for a T5). It works so well I can't see any need to go with the hydraulic throwout bearing. Plus if you have a fluid leak, goodbye clutch.

Gazoo

Yeah, I was gonna ask why you are choosing a TOB over a master-slave setup. The latter is a whole lot easier to work on if there's a problem after it's installed, and not near the risk of sliming up a clutch if there's a leak.

I assume you are talking about the Keisler hydraulic system for the TKO600? If so I have one and I'm satisfied. Very smooth shifts.... Attaching the cable and mounting the master cylinder are a bit tough but fit nicely. By far the toughest part was pulling the clutch centering spring. But you'll have to do that with any hydraulic system I would think.

That looks similar to the Kiesler one except Kiesler's line into the clutch is self purging. A nice feature considering I see no way you could purge the line otherwise. Just too tight in there.....

I believe you can just buy the kit from Kiesler.....

That looks similar to the Kiesler one except Kiesler's line into the clutch is self purging. A nice feature considering I see no way you could purge the line otherwise. Just too tight in there.....

I believe you can just buy the kit from Kiesler.....

Got a call from them a while back, apparently you need to measure the throwout bearing before they can process the order. Kinda annoying since they make no mention of this on their website.

I think I'm going to call them back and change my order to the slave cylinder setup. It's a lot less money and easier to service.

Coz, can you post a link to the Kiesler setup you mention? I'd like to look into that as an option.

There is NO REASON to go with the throwout bearing one. Even the measurement you have to take is an example. Then when you put it in, and have to take a few measurements for the right clearance to the clutch fingers, you may have to pull the tranny out to spin the bearing to adjust it, put it back in, check your measurement, possibly pull the box again. BTDT with a buddy's 69 camaro.

There's just no reason for it when you can get the regular, less expensive master/slave one.