Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jkskinsfan

My Paint Plan

Not being a Painter by any stretch of the imagination, I've researched this as best I could and came up with this Plan. I've been stripping the entire car down to Bare Metal and using a Metal Prep & Conditioner on the Bare Metal to protect it from any rusting until I'm ready to Prime it. After all of the Body Work and Rust Repair is finished, I plan on coating the entire car with PPG DPLF Epoxy Primer. Then I'll lay on a few nice wet coats of PPG K36 Acrylic Urethane Primer/Surfacer. Then Block Sand the entire car until everything is smooth and flat. Next, I plan on adding 1/2 part DT Reducer to some more of the Epoxy Primer and use it as a "Sealer" on top of the Urethane Primer/Surfacer. Then the PPG DBC Base Coat goes on, finishing up with PPG DCU2021 Urethane Clear. Well that's it. I plan on doing everything myself in my single car garage, so I'm open to suggestions & ideas if anyone thinks that this is not a good way to go.

That's a tall order for a first timer, good luck. You better have real good spraying equipment for a Urethane base. Make sure the garage is very clean and line all the walls with plastic drop cloth and keep the floor real wet.

Personally if I was spraying my first car I would go Lacquer based or at the least I would do several trst shots and treatments like say on an old hood or door first to make sure I got the control and distance right first.

Not being a Painter by any stretch of the imagination, I've researched this as best I could and came up with this Plan. I've been stripping the entire car down to Bare Metal and using a Metal Prep & Conditioner on the Bare Metal to protect it from any rusting until I'm ready to Prime it. After all of the Body Work and Rust Repair is finished, I plan on coating the entire car with PPG DPLF Epoxy Primer. Then I'll lay on a few nice wet coats of PPG K36 Acrylic Urethane Primer/Surfacer. Then Block Sand the entire car until everything is smooth and flat. Next, I plan on adding 1/2 part DT Reducer to some more of the Epoxy Primer and use it as a "Sealer" on top of the Urethane Primer/Surfacer. Then the PPG DBC Base Coat goes on, finishing up with PPG DCU2021 Urethane Clear. Well that's it. I plan on doing everything myself in my single car garage, so I'm open to suggestions & ideas if anyone thinks that this is not a good way to go.

Don't be afraid you can always wet sand the runs & dry spray. Don't spay a metalic for your first time. 3 good coats of color & 2-3 coats of clear depending what it looks. Your last coat should look wet.

All I would throw in is thats a lot of money for prime / paint supplies 1000 to 1500?, not including as above stated gun, compressor, RESPERATOR, filler, sanding tools,sanding materials, thinners and buffing tool / supplies. Are you planning to do more than one car, if so plan long term. I'm set up to do rust removal / priming only. I have epoxy primed one complete car - 2dr 64 nova in my 3 car garage still tight when it came to my nerves and chasing the damm hose / refills to continue the job. Your one car is going to be very limited on lighting, due to you'll want to close doors and ventilate the area. I would only purchase enough mat's to do the priming step 1st, see how it goes and if you believe your still up to it! If so go for it! If you check out any of my progress pic's on the wifes cv that hopefully will go in the autorama next febuary , talent comes at a cost -I'm no painter. Thats why I hired a professional and he comes with a booth. I know I'm a chicken, lol.

GOOD LUCK!

All I would throw in is thats a lot of money for prime / paint supplies 1000 to 1500?, not including as above stated gun, compressor, RESPERATOR, filler, sanding tools,sanding materials, thinners and buffing tool / supplies. Are you planning to do more than one car, if so plan long term. I'm set up to do rust removal / priming only. I have epoxy primed one complete car - 2dr 64 nova in my 3 car garage still tight when it came to my nerves and chasing the damm hose / refills to continue the job. Your one car is going to be very limited on lighting, due to you'll want to close doors and ventilate the area. I would only purchase enough mat's to do the priming step 1st, see how it goes and if you believe your still up to it! If so go for it! If you check out any of my progress pic's on the wifes cv that hopefully will go in the autorama next febuary , talent comes at a cost -I'm no painter. Thats why I hired a professional and he comes with a booth. I know I'm a chicken, lol.

GOOD LUCK!

Yea but, If you wait for a bodyman/painter to do the work you will be waiting a while if he says 3 months he means 9. How many stories have you heard that a car was out of the bodyshop ontime?

Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I've done a couple of cars with Lacquer Primer and I hope the Epoxy and Urethane Primers spray somewhat similar, and I have sprayed some Clear Lacquer so I'm not a comple newb, but still, taking on this job is a little scary. I'm removing just about everything that can be removed. The Hood, Fenders, Doors, Trunk Lid, etc. and will Prime and Paint them individually so hopefully doing it that way will make it a little easier. The car is pretty straight with very little rust, so the Prep Work should go pretty fast. I let you know how it went when I get the Primers on. Probably be in a month or so. Thanks again for the suggestions.

P.S. I got an estimate on all of the Paint, Primer, Hardener and Reducer from PPG. It comes to just over $1,100.

Your right carguy, quality takes longer than production. Thats why I'm not a painter and if I screw it up it allways cost me more money. If he screws it up it dont cost me a dime, just some time! If it comes out really nice who is going to remember how long it took when all those compliments roll in. If I paint it, all they will say is who in the hell did that.