Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lagalaxy8

What kind of sealer on trans pan gasket?

I just changed mine, I cleaned both surfaces. Applied vasilene or grease to lip on pan to hold gasket in position only, stick gasket on top of pan lip and place pan with gasket against trans no sealer. install all bolts snug and tighten hand tight with criss cross method. No sealer is needed if done this way. Been doing it for 35 yrs.

Good luck.

If your sealing surfaces are in good shape, It won't take much sealer if any. I always spray the gasket lightly with hi-tac or any type of spray gasket sealer that you can get at your local auto parts store, and don't over tighten the pan bolts. I try to stay away from silicone sealers like blue-glue or the like unless you use a real THIN coat. It tends to squish out and can end up inside your transmission if you get happy with the stuff. Silicone is good for many uses but some people tend to go overboard. One example is I alway cringe when I read in a mag or someone tells me to use a thick bead on the ends of a intake manifold instead of the cork gaskets. You can see how much squishes out on the outside so you know it's the same on the inside.

Sealing surfaces where find when I took it off. No leaks etc. Car has sat for a long time so thought I should change the fluid. Well put it back together tighten to 12lbs (per box) and the damn thing leaked. So I tighten them more and the damn thing still leaks. So figure I need some sort of sealant, since I didn't use any in the first place.

Sealing surfaces where find when I took it off. No leaks etc. Car has sat for a long time so thought I should change the fluid. Well put it back together tighten to 12lbs (per box) and the damn thing leaked. So I tighten them more and the damn thing still leaks. So figure I need some sort of sealant, since I didn't use any in the first place.

do not use any kind of silicone sealer on the trans pan. you can use permatex copper spray gasket adhesive or the Indian Head brush on gasket shellac and they will seal it up nice.

One other thing to look at if your car sat for a long time is the seal for the shifter arm. Mine was leaking and running down the side of the transmission soaking the pan. It looked like the pan was leaking.