Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

musman

Alignment specs...

I know this has been discussed in the past, but i'm about to get the car to the alignment shop and like to know for sure what would be the right set up for my car.....It's a '69 with power steering and a 1 inch drop with coil springs up front....rear suspension is stock...i'm runing 225's up front....

Here is a quote of what b-nickel mentionned in a previous post...would that apply to my car even though it is not a Shelby drop....

Dan

I think the shelby drop would be reccomended by just about anyone but when you go to the alignment shop don't let them set things to a stock 69' mustang setting (FYI 1/4* positive caster, 3/4* positive camber and 3/16" toe in) if they even know what that is anymore. All my research so far has shown that an optimal setting with the drop would be 2* positive caster, 0* to 1* negative camber and 1/8" toe in. It may be just slightly harder to steer but way more stable.

Hmmm, that actually looks like something I wrote in the past and not B.:stuart:

So was your 1" drop just from the coil? I'm not 100% sure if the Shelby specs will be completely right that way. Probably best to provide them with stock specs and shelby specs and let them determine which combination works best on your set up.

Hmmm, that actually looks like something I wrote in the past and not B.:stuart:

So was your 1" drop just from the coil? I'm not 100% sure if the Shelby specs will be completely right that way. Probably best to provide them with stock specs and shelby specs and let them determine which combination works best on your set up.

i think so too, maybe i quoted you and he quoted me quoting you, but don't quote me on that.

Where can i find the original alignment specs, i doubt very much that my local alignment shop will have them....

Just got my car yesterday....but before i celebrate too much here is a list of what i have to fix:

1) it started leaking from the backglass after i washed it....remenber everything is new, seals, wheathestripping,etc...

2) leaky poser steering pump

3) rough idle, i know i have a big cam, but i should idle on it's own, have to get a car to come here for the third time to time it correctly...

4) driver side window won't work anymore, heard a big boum when closing the door, i think that the mechanism is laying somewhere at the bottom of the door skin...

5) gaz gage in the dash is not working

6) speedometer is not working

7)brakes aren't that great, bleeded them 5 times, booster looks ok, master as well...everything is new...

8) battery goes dead , won't recharge...is it the alternator or battery...everything is new..

9) retaining clips holding upholstery of my new front seats are broken...that's the piece of plastic in the back of the front seats...

Everything goes well besides that.....

Where can i find the original alignment specs, i doubt very much that my local alignment shop will have them....

Just got my car yesterday....but before i celebrate too much here is a list of what i have to fix:

1) it started leaking from the backglass after i washed it....remenber everything is new, seals, wheathestripping,etc...

2) leaky poser steering pump

3) rough idle, i know i have a big cam, but i should idle on it's own, have to get a car to come here for the third time to time it correctly...

4) driver side window won't work anymore, heard a big boum when closing the door, i think that the mechanism is laying somewhere at the bottom of the door skin...

5) gaz gage in the dash is not working

6) speedometer is not working

7)brakes aren't that great, bleeded them 5 times, booster looks ok, master as well...everything is new...

8) battery goes dead , won't recharge...is it the alternator or battery...everything is new..

9) retaining clips holding upholstery of my new front seats are broken...that's the piece of plastic in the back of the front seats...

Everything goes well besides that.....

I am pretty sure you aleady have the stock specs in that post of mine that you posted as Bnickel's post. Reread the first part. As for 1 thru 9, welcome to the Mustang hobby, all par for the course.

1) Did you use the sash cord trick when you put in the back glass and gasket or did you force it in?

2) Either you did not tighten it enough or you over tightened it and split the flare. They are very delicate and have to be exactly right, even then they will occasionally leak.

3) Just adjust the timing yourself. Advance it until you start to hear it ping then back it off a little, this will be optimal for your car. Check it with a timing gun after if you want but you will likely be somewhere in the 13* BTDC range in the end, way more than the enemic stock 6* BTDC setting.

4) Only one way to check that.

5) Disconnect the wire from the sending unit at the back of the tank, ground the wire out anywhere on the frame, if the gas needle pegs it's a bad sender if it doesn't move at all it's a bad gauge.

6) Check the line for a break or kink somewhere and that is connected with the proper gear.

7) What kind of brakes are they? When you bled them did you do it in the proper sequence? Are you running the right fluid?

8)Get a multi tester and test every connection individually from the ground at the block all the way back to the ground at the firewall. That;s the only way to say for sure where the culprit is.

9) Easy fix, they are the same clips that hold the door panels on.

Thanks for all the tips Pak, i will get under once more and many more times to come....my motor ran fine on the dyno 6 months ago....no leaks, spark plugs looked fine after 6 pulls....but now it seems that i just can't get any idle at all, if i let go the gaz pedal i will loose it even when it's hot.....i had a professionnal tune my carburator the other day and everything seemed to work ok for a while, that is until i installed the shaker and stuff around it....i checked the plugs tonight and they are full of oil around the thread...now i,m wondering what that means, guess i'll have to call that guy once more....my motor is a 351W running a hot cam, with original intake and ported everything else.....pulls about 430HP.....i was told to get a vaccum can so i have some reserve for the booster cuz mu cam draws too much vaccum....something else on my never ending list...

None of things you mentioned sound too serious. Did you just buy the car?

Nope, 2 friends and i did a complete 2 1/2 years rotisserie on it....yes, yes, i will post pics whenever i get my frustration out of the way with all those little snags i'm having right now....