Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jgstang

351W question

i found a guy here near by that has a rebuilt 351W C9 block that he says is balanced and blueprinted. its .60 over with hypereutctic pistons,RV cam,melling oil pump/lifters.this work was done a few years ago and they kept oil in the cylinders to keep it fresh.....my question is that over the years i have bad luck with .60 motors running hot! i can get it for 600. bucks but am i asking for problems ?? this is a shortblock.he says that it shouldn't run hotter that 200-210.what do you guys think.......thanks, Jim

bad luck with .60 motors

I think you answered your own question. I can't think of anything I've ever bought that gave me too much problem. I guess that means I've never bought one, let alone plural.

He says it shouldn't run hot? If it throws a piston, will he say it shouldn't do that, too? I can't see how he put all that work into a block just to find a buyer of low-cost hipo.*

*EDIT-Truth be told, there's a lot of things I can't see about the situation. If you think it's a good deal, do it. I haven't seen this particular motor.

pass. unless he can show you the paperwork where they sonic checked the block to make sure the cylinder walls had plenty of meat left AFTER the .060 overbore you'll just be buying someone else's problems. and $600 for a shortblock is a little high if you ask me anyway, i mean it's probably not any better than High-Tech shortblock from autozone which isn't a whole lot more money and has a warranty.

I had a similar question a month ago about buying a 69 .060 over 351w. I ended up not buying it and found a 71 351w standard bore a month later. I’d pass if I were you and continue looking. Standard bore 69-73 blocks are still out there and you can buy them from the right people for $350. That’s what I paid for my disassembled, standard bore, complete engine (carb to pan). Keep an eye on craigslist and visit all surrounding junk yards and machine shops. They can usually point you in the right direction.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=2562&highlight=351w

Jim, just to piggy back on what has already been said. .060 is alot. I hgad a 302 that was 060 and i could not get it to stay cool on a warm day to save my life. Very frustrating. Pass on this one. Best of luck!