Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lagalaxy8

new main & rod bearings Any advice?

Personal opinion.. it is going to be REALLY difficult to do.

To replace mains you really need the crank out and working on your back with all the rods hanging around (literally) will be a pain.

Cherry pickers or whatever they are called anymore are only around $150 or so and are such a nice tool. Pulling the engine really isn't that hard. I prefer to just pull the engine and tranny together but either way will work.

Besides, I'm not sure why you are having to replace bearings but I would want to make sure the crank is still in spec before dropping new money in bearings.

Just my 2 cents.

-Stephen

Still had all stock stuff in it. I was getting low low pressure the other day so deceided to check the pan and the scrren was full of crap, so figured why I was at it might as well check the bearings. And they are shot. By the way I have a 302.

Well, if you checked the bearings, then you obviously got the pan off already. Yes, it can be done. Sounds like you already know that you have to make sure you put the bearing in with the tabs in the right location. You can push the bearing around with a small punch. Once you get it started, pull it around the rest of the way with your fingernail. You should be able to grab on the tab. You might want to plastigauge it after you put a new bearing in just to make sure. But, when checking the mains, put a jack under the balancer and put a little up pressure on the crank. That way you will take up the slack on top and get a good reading.