Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PaleRider

is my car ruuning too cool?

Recently put a new Weiand (aluminum) waterpump on my car and noticed the car runs a lot cooler. Already have a 4 row radiator. Just installed Autometer temp gauge that shows the car running under 160 degrees. Assuming I have a 160 thermostat. Had put a new thermostat on last year and really did not pay attention to rating. Should car be running warmer to get max performance? Probably dumb question. Thinking of putting new 180 thermostat.

IMO the car needs to run hotter, is it using any oil? IMO if your engine does not come up to an acceptable operating temp, it will actually damage the motor because the rings will not expand and it will allow oil to pass or it will not get hot enough to flush out he condensation from the oil. Running a motor too cool is just as bad as running it too hot.

if your using the factory gauge and sensor, you might want to check it with a cheap mech one, just to be sure. I know my mustang would peg all the way to the red but my mech gauge held steady at 160*. I never did figure out which was bad the factory gauge or sender..

yeah my car runs like ass in the winter/fall when it stats getting cold before i put her away for winter. I have a 160deg which is great in summer it runs about 160-170 and occationally 180. However when it gets cold its runs 150-160 and it runs like poo, and that can also cause engine sludge buildup, get that thing running hotter.

On the factory gauge barely moves past the c - on the new autometer shows around 150 - at least last night - it was pretty cool out. Although electric - pretty sure it's accurate. Swap out this weekend.