Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CRASH

Alternator agony

in rebuilding my 351w I wanted to get a new 1 wire alternator but dont know what to get or even look for. Im using a HEI stock ignition and want to get rid of the regulator and wires. Anyone have any ideas?:001_unsure:

Got a 100 amp powermaster after doing some research. Simple install - only issue is your stock amp gauge will not work with it. Whatever you do make sure you get at least 100amp. With stereo and other upgrades (eg. headlights) you'll be glad. I can post some pics if yo need it. I think Summit carries them I got mine thru local auto store.

Well,

I went to autozone and got a new regulator and alternator when mine went and all is well. Just want with stock but the sell a nice looking one with gold fins that looks real nice and no problems since I replaced them. ANytime I replace the alternator I do the regulator as well....worth the 9 bucks.....thats my two cents.

I thought about a single wire too but I think they still have some issues with the internal regulator...but I could be wrong...

Dan

+1 on the aftermarket 1-wire alternator. I actually used a 2G alternator off of a loaded crown vic. If I were you, I'd go with the 3G set-up. You can get them off late model Mustangs. If you are not electrically inclined go with PaleRider's recommendation. I'm running power door locks, Hella Driving lamps, Clifford Alarm system and a stereo and amp. I'm good.

Autozone does normally stock a GM 1-wire alternator. I dont know if there would be any problems mounting it. I also dont recall off the top of my head the amperage they put out.

+2 on the Powermaster 100A 1-wire. I had clearance issues though on my 351W. Had to take the thing apart and rotate the rear part of the housing 180 degrees to get the + output pin where it wouldnt hit the heads/block.

Do you guys use the original small pulley or a larger one for less RPM? The latter kind of defeats the purpose of installing the larger alternator?

I had a large pulley on the old unit, but the new alternator came with a nicer looking small one that I kept on there for now. I'm told that the stock units reach max charging at about 2.500 rpm and I'm often over that with a 3.70 rear and no overdrive. Should I switch to the large pulley again?

MY DEAREST PALERIDER,PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR USING AN ASS/U/ME/D NAME BUTT. I'M THE CHEVY SOB WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE UPGRADES ASA THE HEART TRANSPLANT IN CRASH'S MACH-U. I'M CURIOUS AS TO APPLICABLE WIRE DELETIONS AND OR SUBSTITUTIONS...ect IN ORDER TO OMIT THE EXTERNAL VOLTAGE REGULATOR. THANKS....RACEGAS4BLOOD!....ps....any idea where to get CRASH some training wheels 4 this thing?