Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69GT

Suspension questions

Summer is fast approaching and im trying to decide what projects I want to tackle. Im thinking suspension and a Randalls rack.

I was curious as to what kind of suspension you guys would recommend. I have stock suspension with a drop of some sort, not really sure. I was looking at the global west upper and lower tubular control arms and was wondering if they are really that much better than stock? All I really need to replace is the ball joints which would be much cheaper than spending nearly $1000 on control arms. I looked into replacement lower ball joints at work and it looks like it it comes with the entire lower arm.

I guess what I was wondering is are tubular arms really that much better? I know the best way to go would be coil overs but those are way out of my price range. Also, once im in there should I replace any bushings?

This brings me to my next point. I think when I redo the suspension ill throw the Randalls rack in there because ive had it with my sloppy steering. If my alignment is going to get screwed up by changing all these things, should I throw an adjustable strut rod while im at it to get rid of the eccentric bolt adjustment? Or am I getting the eccentric and strut rods mixed up. Maybe id better do more reading. :detective:

Thanks, im just trying to figure out in my head what I want to do and what would be best.

2 Questions:

What do you want to do with the car?(Cruise, Road Race, Drag Race, Autocross, etc..)

How much money you got?(1000, 2000, 3000. etc...)

Great question - I am replacing the ball joints on mine as well and have been thinking about the entire control arms. (Why not?). I am just cruisin' so not sure it is worth the higher end stuff.

Looking forward to more responses....

Well the car is my daily driver. Ive never taken it on a track or anything, but I really want to take it to Buttonwillow this summer to have a little fun and see what she can do.

My price range for suspension is no more than $1000. I think $1000 is how much it would be for an entire tubular setup where as just replacing the stock parts would be like $100 something.

In the last couple of years we have replaced the suspension all the way around on our Mach 1. Did the front first and simply ordered a complete rebuild kit from one of the mustang vendors and it came with control arms etc. I would do it all and just replace the tie-rod ends. You can get it close enough and then take it in for an alignment at Midas or whatever is close to your home. We didn't do anything fancy - all factory spec stock rubber bushings. In the rear we replaced the shocks and had the springs re-arched the bushings were still in great shape so just left them alone. Its the wife's daily driver and it drives like a late 60's muscle car....I'm not saying thats a bad thing....

Hmm, I may save some of my money and keep the stock control arms. The people on the other forums seem to be saying that its not such a good idea to have a rear sway bar. I know my car has both front and rear sway bars but I dont know what sizes they are. Maybe I can pick up some subframe connectors with the saved control arm money.

So I was asking around about suspension and I may have stumbled across something. Does anyone know what company actually makes Grab-A-Trak suspension?