Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rstbkt69

heater questions

Is there a heater control valve on the heater hose to a non - A/C car? If there is I don't see how it would be controlled

Now a control cable question. The original cable set was broken. I'm having a CRS moment and I think it was the heater/defrost cable. The shortest on anyway. It was broken in 2 different places. I rebuilt the heater box and lubed the big flapper the best I could. Not much to lube any way. So I installed a good looking set of cables I robbed from another car. he end of the sheathing snapped of after 4 or 5 cycles. I sprayed on some more lube to the control arm pivot point cycled it some more and the sheathing snapped behind the part that looks like a coupling. Same place as the original cable.

Did I over tighten the retaining clip and cause this? Or is it just caused by an old cable. The cables slid inside just fine and I only used one finger to slide the control knob to the two positions. I have a new cable on order. cane anyone offer any tips to the install of this. I'd hate to break the new set. thanks Jim

the non ac cars should also have heater control valve, it's controlled by vacuum on either setup. i had a problem with all the pivot points on mine being tight as well. i lubed all the pivots up reall well and worked them by hand several times to get them to loosen up some. it's bery possible that clips are on too tight as well, they just barely push on to the shaft and really don't even touch the cable

What controls the vacuum or should I say what actuates the control valve to allow the vacuum to open it? I only have 2 cables. a defrost heater and a hot or hotter slide switch. Nothing that I can see to operate the control valve. Is it electrical and someone possibly took the cable while the body was in the JY.

Jim

What controls the vacuum or should I say what actuates the control valve to allow the vacuum to open it? I only have 2 cables. a defrost heater and a hot or hotter slide switch. Nothing that I can see to operate the control valve. Is it electrical and someone possibly took the cable while the body was in the JY.

Jim

there shold be a vacuum connection on the back of the control head in the dash. i'll check my shop manual to make sure what i'm telling you is correct but every heater control valve i've seen on these cars is like that.

Thanks. It could be that I am Missing a part. But I don't have one. And it is not the first or last thing I will find I don't have as I keep putting this thing together. LOL I recommend that nobody ever rescue a car out of a JY. Send them to me so I can have all the parts I need.LOL

Ok I found on one of my books what Is called a water control valve. I see how I over looked it the first time. I was tired and was looking for heater control valve. I do not have one of these, but no big deal just need to buy one. But I don't have any of the vacuum stuff at all. No resevior under the hood and nothing under the dash. Anyone know the real names to these so I can start looking for them.

Ok I found on one of my books what Is called a water control valve. I see how I over looked it the first time. I was tired and was looking for heater control valve. I do not have one of these, but no big deal just need to buy one. But I don't have any of the vacuum stuff at all. No resevior under the hood and nothing under the dash. Anyone know the real names to these so I can start looking for them.

the only other thing i can find is that there may be a vacuum switch for the "water control valve" on the heater case. my car has ac so it is on the control unit in the dash.

Just got back from the JY. They only have 6 or 7 69/70 mustangs and a few cougars in that year. I could not find any evidence of a vacuum operation of the Water/heater control valve on the non-a/c cars. One of them did have a heater control valve on the heater hose but the whole lower dash was missing and only had a dangling vacuum hose and any evidence that there was anything there. Could this have been a plant specific build plan. I saw it in my Osborne manuals so I know that it might be there. common sense tells me something should be there. People with mustangs tell me something should be there but I can not see anything anywhere else. thanks

Jim

I have owned three non-A/C 69 Mustangs and have yet to see one with a heater control valve. Of course, none were new when I got them, but many had original core and hoses.

I am not sure non-AC cars had them.

well, if there wasn't a heater control valve the car would stay hot all the time. for some reason when they go bad people just generally by pass them and don't replace them, which seems kinda stupid to me. but there really should be one.

well, if there wasn't a heater control valve the car would stay hot all the time. for some reason when they go bad people just generally by pass them and don't replace them, which seems kinda stupid to me. but there really should be one.

Not really. It depends on the design of the heater control box as to how much heat will invade the cockpit. I have owned a number of cars, both Mustang and otherwise, that do not have this valve.

Not really. It depends on the design of the heater control box as to how much heat will invade the cockpit. I have owned a number of cars, both Mustang and otherwise, that do not have this valve.

well, my car didn't have one forever and when i finally figured out is supposed to have one and installed it it made a world of difference in the cabin temp.

Well if I can find the parts to go under the dash I'll install it. But for now since it isn't even going to the the engine for at least a month I'll just work on other stuff. Thanks for your help guys. If anybody can come up with some pics of what I need , remember non A/C car, post them so I know what I'm looking for. Thanks again. Jim

Mine is a non-ac also and seems to be that way from the factory. Having said that I will install one to keep the cab temps down in the hotter months. I am sure it will be needed if it ever warms up here in Illinois.