Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

russ69coupe

speaking of lower dashes-diff between 69 and 70?

other than the ignition switch hole that is. :thumbup:

I am going to be using a hidden ignition switch and would be filling in (smoothing) the hole on my 69. But I was wondering about just using a 70. I will be making my own wiring harness, but I would like the overall look to be at least close.

Anyone see any issues if I choose this way?

Thanks,

Russ

The 1969 dashes have a couple of holes for switches above the radio, the 1970 dashes have one only. There may be others but I am unaware of them.

huh? are you talking about the holes in dashpad for the sport light or vert top switches? he's talking about the lower dash not the dashpad

Funny how one see things, i'm so glad that i have the ignition on the dash as oppose to the steering column...

Now you've got me curious... why? I don't see any benifit to having it in the dash. But I do see a benifit to having it in the colum (steering wheel lock). I don't think I'd care either way, I'm just curious as to why you do.

me personnally prefer it on the dash because if for some unknown reason the keys get lost or something you can atleast put it in netrual and steer the thing on to a trailer or into the garage or whatever and besides that the dash one is easier to change out and i just think it looks better on the dash

The 70 lower dash does not work with a 69 steering column. The 70 column is much wider and the lower dash was changed to accomodate it. Also, the pedal support used to mount the column and the lower dash is different between the years.

Now you've got me curious... why? I don't see any benifit to having it in the dash. But I do see a benifit to having it in the colum (steering wheel lock). I don't think I'd care either way, I'm just curious as to why you do.

only benefit i can see is that 69 ignition switches are as far as away as the local parts store but 70 ignition switches are almost impossible to find, so i hear.

only benefit i can see is that 69 ignition switches are as far as away as the local parts store but 70 ignition switches are almost impossible to find, so i hear.

Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I had no problems finding a new lockset a few years ago. Maybe things have changed or I just got lucky...

Hmm, I'll have to look into that. I had no problems finding a new lockset a few years ago. Maybe things have changed or I just got lucky...

i've got a brand new lock cylinder set that i bought for my old 70 cougar if you ever need another one let me know.

Must be the fact that putting the key in the dash makes it more like a real sports car, ya know like the Ford GT, and other nice european cars...makes it different period...to me it'll be a first...so i'm all excited about starting the motor with the key in the dash...will let you know when i do it...

huh? are you talking about the holes in dashpad for the sport light or vert top switches? he's talking about the lower dash not the dashpad

I am talking about the metal lower dash. The Sportlamp switch does not mount on the dash pad. The switch mount on the metal above the radio. I know for a fact the 69s have two holes, the 70s have one.

For aesthetics I think the dash ignition switch gets the thumbs up.

For security, I like not being able to steer without the key. That means I'm the only one ever moving the car.

As far as being a real sports car... who wants to race :)