Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R4K

Did you HEAR that?

That, my friends, was the sound of 402 cubic inches of Ford FE muscle and hate awakening for the first time! (And in time for Spring, which was a promise I made to myself)

It's only just been broken in, but that seems to have gone well. No smoke (other than the paint "curing" on the headers) and no leaks. I didn't get to hear her idle (being as idling is a no-no during break-in), but she sounded solid and mean at 1800-2200, with the hint that there may be a bit of a lope when she's idling. Can't wait to hear it. :punk: Folks said the 268H had a noticeable lope at idle, I hope so.

First thing I need to do is get her to the shop for an alignment, being as I also did the Shelby drop while I had the engine out. I don't even know how it's going to drive after that. Figure might as well see if it can get hooked up to an oscilloscope while I'm there.

So anyway, I'll detail the build later, just wanted to stop by and share my good news (ie brag).

I'm officially a Big Block Black Belt now (<--- see my name?) and will probably be totally insufferable from now on! :taz:

Highlights:

New Comp 268H cam

New forged pistons (increasing CR from 8:1 to 9.5:1)

New, pre-67 heads (C6AE-Rs..."Poor Man's Cobra Jets")

I'll give details later. Wife's home for a nooner and I gotta go.

Can this day get any better?

Happy for you man, i'l be in the same boat next week, when we fire up the windsor, which by the way already had it's break-in 6 months ago on the dyno to the tune of 420HP and just a tiny bit more torque 430TQ.....my cam is a 292H Comp, and too heard it revving at about 2000-6000rpm.....it looks like a happy camper.....we'll show you pics when we drop the engine in this week...:sorcerer:

Well, apparently I haven't learned how to route a speedometer cable UP OFF OF THE HEADERS. This will be my 4th new cable in a year. Don't ask.

So, I got her fired up again today to set the timing, idle and a/f mixture. I got her set to

1,000 RPM (Idle in Park)

Vacuum 15"

Timing 12*

750 RPM (Idle in Drive)

Vacuum 12"

Timing 12*

Oil 35 PSI

She sounds real nice, though, just a hint of a lope as was advertised. I only drove her around the neighborhood just to build confidence up in it and long enough to notice I burned yet another speedo cable, so no idea how fast I got her.