Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlackGMC

My 1970 Mustang project - Frame/Floorpan/Subframes. Restoration Part-1

looking good. I need to figure out my whole roll bar thin eventually too. I may just put in the plates on the frame now though and deal with it later when I'm right about to put the interior in.

If I may offer some advice, prefit your rear seat first, my rear seat stops at the front of the crossmember. I thought I was going to be able to mount it right on top of it, but the rear seat is in the way, so I am adding a plate and supporting steel to the front of it, it will be tight but the rear seat will be able to slide in and out like it is supposed to.

As far as future plans once the floors are complete, I am cutting out the firewall and putting in on solide piece with a slight recess so I can move the motor back a few inches. Then i plan on adding the Mustang II crossemember and adding new fender aprons. I plan on just using the tops of the fender aprons so the fenders will mount up then making the rest smooth like the firewall. With BEADS of course.

This is the front crossmember I will be using.

hei03-1-34.jpg

This is what the finished product looks like. Except I will be using QA1s which have adjustable shocks and spring height.

hei03-1-39.jpg

Then after that off to the rear, adding in the rear roll bars and mini tubing the rear end. Adding a 9inch and maybe one of these. Depending on money thou, I might just use leafs and upgrade later if I have a problem launching at the track.

mustang4-link.jpg

Then I will be mounting the engine and tranny (T56 or TKO 600)

I finally finished with yard work and some landscaping so I was able to get another panel rolled and fitted into place last night. Even thou I screwed a piece of sheet for the seat pan, I had the flanging dies tightened down to far and basically sheered a piece of sheet..... This weekend I plan to start cleaning up some of the surface rust, which is starting to piss me off....

67.jpg

Naw I really have not, I have gotten side tracked on a couple of other projects lately.... For example: preparing to go to Graduate school, looking at getting married, started to learn how to program GM EFI computers, working on my truck some, etc... I had to take a long break because I hurt my eye and had to let it heal, so no welding... I might get back on is sometime soon, just depends...

Do anything fun with the truck?

Little bit, custom tune via EFI Live, Long tube headers, and mandrel exhaust (made by me!!), new intake, few tranny parts... Mainly just wanting a few more MPG out of it.... Soon a cam swap and gears... Basically something to fill the need to tweak something and see some results...

OH, but I have been talking to my brother about getting his 67 mustang and prepping it for the drag strip. Since his is complete and drivable.... Its got a pretty good foundation, Roller motor, monster cam, 4 speed stick, 9" rear, all the go fast goodies on the motor, etc... Mainly it just needs a good carb adjustment and some timing tuning, which I can do some data loggin with my laptop and Wideband gauge....