Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mach1mike

69 351W advice

need more information on 351w.The build date of my car is FEB 13 1969.What would be considered the correct date code and casting number on the block for my car.I don't have the original engine or trans and am trying to locate them. Also how can you correctly identify FMX transmissions.Thanks , Mike

im not totally sure but i think a date within 2 weeks of the cars build date is considered "correct" i dont know the part number, the fmx has a rectangle shaped pan that goes side to side where the c4 has a sqare pan and the c6 has kind of a pan shaped like a squared off number 6

and i believe the fmx has a intregral bellhouseing as does the c6 could be wrong on this its been 18 years since ive had a fmx

Not sure on the correct number for your engine, and I am not even sure Ford would know. Obviously, 69 castings started with C9 numbers, but engines were built in bulk at a different plant than where the cars were assembled, so I am pretty sure that date codes on the engines would not come withing two weeks of the build date. Can you imagine shipping engines out of the Windsor plant in Ontario to get to the San Jose plant in that timeframe? Seems like a stretch to me.

Fortunately, Ford people aren't as wound up about numbers matching applications as the GM or MOPAR guys, especially with more common applications like 351w Mach Is.

Not sure on the date code....

but as far as transmissions easiest way to tell is the FMX is a 3 piece transmission with the center section being cast iron. It's a heavy piece but a pretty durable transmission.

C6 is a one piece aluminum.

The decoder I have says the 69 motors start with C8TE and the 70 motors start with C9OE for the block casting numbers and have read that if the motor date code is within 3 months prior to the build date it could be considered correct.Just wanted to say thanks for the posts my first time on the site.You guys wouldn't happen to know a good source for 351W parts that are correct? Am having a heck of a time trying to find any that are worth anything.Am trying to build my car as original as possible.Anyway tahnks again.

The decoder I have says the 69 motors start with C8TE and the 70 motors start with C9OE for the block casting numbers and have read that if the motor date code is within 3 months prior to the build date it could be considered correct.Just wanted to say thanks for the posts my first time on the site.You guys wouldn't happen to know a good source for 351W parts that are correct? Am having a heck of a time trying to find any that are worth anything.Am trying to build my car as original as possible.Anyway tahnks again.

your decoder is absolutely wrong...there is no such animal as a C8TE 351 block. also, more often than not you'll find casting numbers actually match the year of manufacturer. it's not uncommon to find some C8 parts on a 69 model, for instance my ac/heater blower motor is stamped with a C8 number but my front spindles are C9 castings