Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rwcstang

speedometer problem

well i guess its spining and not accurate when at cruising speeds or freeway speeds lol checked the gear teeth to the tranny looks fine maybe i have to recalibrate the speedometer? are there any tech articles on fixing it? thanks

well i guess its spining and not accurate when at cruising speeds or freeway speeds lol checked the gear teeth to the tranny looks fine maybe i have to recalibrate the speedometer? are there any tech articles on fixing it? thanks

how do you know it's not accurate? have you checked it? and how did you check it? have you changed the rear gears or drastically changed the erar tire size? generally, you'll need to know the rear gear ratio, tire diameter and number of teeth on the speedo drive gear (the one inside the trans), once you have all that info you can usually find a speedo gear selector by doing a google search.

how do you know it's not accurate? have you checked it? and how did you check it? have you changed the rear gears or drastically changed the erar tire size? generally, you'll need to know the rear gear ratio, tire diameter and number of teeth on the speedo drive gear (the one inside the trans), once you have all that info you can usually find a speedo gear selector by doing a google search.

well we have a street that has a sign that checks how fast ur going so i checked and it read my car doing 25mph but my cluster shows it was at 30pmh everything is stock my rear end gears are low 2:79 and im running 235's in the rear.

well we have a street that has a sign that checks how fast ur going so i checked and it read my car doing 25mph but my cluster shows it was at 30pmh everything is stock my rear end gears are low 2:79 and im running 235's in the rear.

every car i have reads fast according to those road side radar trailer things. even my wife's 02 escape reads fast according to that thing.

Back in the day (when the car actually ran) I would drive off a mile section around here and check the odometer for exactly where it ended up, turn around and recheck and then adjust by getting a different speedo gear. Obviously that may not be an option elsewhere but worked here. You could do the same on the interstate with mile markers but that would be quite dangerous anymore.

-Stephen

well that's the problem right there. your 235/60-14's are about an inch smaller than stock diameter.

oh okay but wait didnt some wheels that came on the mustang were 14?? or the actuall stock diameter is 15?

oh okay but wait didnt some wheels that came on the mustang were 14?? or the actuall stock diameter is 15?

most mustangs had 14" wheels stock, the difference is that you go by tire diameter not wheel diameter. stock size for a 69 would either be an E70-14 or an F70-14 both of which are around 26" tall tires or thereabouts. the modern metric tire size eguivalents would be a 215/70-14 for E tire and 225/70-14 for the F tire the same diameter tire for a 15" wheel would be a 225/60-15 for the E tire and 235/60-15 for the F tire the 235/60-15 is exactly 1" taller than a 235/60-14 or 225/70-14 or the stock size F70-14. the E series tire and it's eguivalent sizes are approximately 1/4" to 1/2" smaller in diameter than the F series tires but still taller then the 235/60-14.

just for comparison purposes the stock tire size on a 69 Boss 302 was an F60-15 which is the same size as a 235/60-15 so even back then they still tried to keep the overall diameter of the tires approximately the same size