Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

369coupes

no start

hey all my little coupe is wanting to be a pain the other day i went to start is so i could move my trailer (it was a cold day) and i get in it and turn the key and it just went clunk then nothing and the dome light went out

i had just started it the day before and all was fine and it hasnt started since i used a test light accross the battery and got a good brite light and at the positive side of the solenoid and i tapped the solenoid thinking it got stuck but , the dome light hasnt came on when i open the door

until yesterday (it was a bit warmer) but i turned the key and again it just went clunk no click no crank just clunk and the dome light went back out any ideas on whats going on:taz:

hey all my little coupe is wanting to be a pain the other day i went to start is so i could move my trailer (it was a cold day) and i get in it and turn the key and it just went clunk then nothing and the dome light went out

i had just started it the day before and all was fine and it hasnt started since i used a test light accross the battery and got a good brite light and at the positive side of the solenoid and i tapped the solenoid thinking it got stuck but , the dome light hasnt came on when i open the door

until yesterday (it was a bit warmer) but i turned the key and again it just went clunk no click no crank just clunk and the dome light went back out any ideas on whats going on:taz:

Just to clarify, are you saying "all was fine and hasn't started since you used a test light" or "all was fine and hasn't started since. I used a test light...."? I know you like run off sentences but punctutation makes a huge difference in how to interpret that sentence and what the diagnosis would be.

I am going to assume it's the second version and not as you typed it and think that you have either a short or a bad ground somewere. You need to find out what the voltage is at the battery, just a test light won't say much. Check the grounds to the block and at the starter first off and make sure you have a clean contact but you may need to get a multi tester and go thru each section one at a time from the block ground to the battery to the solenoid to the regulator to the starter etc.... until you find the culprit.

Just to clarify, are you saying "all was fine and hasn't started since you used a test light" or "all was fine and hasn't started since. I used a test light...."? I know you like run off sentences but punctutation makes a huge difference in how to interpret that sentence and what the diagnosis would be.

I am going to assume it's the second version and not as you typed it and think that you have either a short or a bad ground somewere. You need to find out what the voltage is at the battery, just a test light won't say much. Check the grounds to the block and at the starter first off and make sure you have a clean contact but you may need to get a multi tester and go thru each section one at a time from the block ground to the battery to the solenoid to the regulator to the starter etc.... until you find the culprit.

oops yeah i meant it hasnt started since, so i used a testlight to see if it was getting current and to see if the battery had any charge at all in it (i thought i may have left something on and ran it down) and stuff, and also the reason i used the test light was that i tried to jump start it and it didnt seem like it was taking the charge and it didnt do anything different while jumping or after

oops yeah i meant it hasnt started since, so i used a testlight to see if it was getting current and to see if the battery had any charge at all in it (i thought i may have left something on and ran it down) and stuff, and also the reason i used the test light was that i tried to jump start it and it didnt seem like it was taking the charge and it didnt do anything different while jumping or after

So the battery is likely fine but the juice ain't going any further than that.

So the battery is likely fine but the juice ain't going any further than that.

it gets to the solenoid (pos) my biggest question is why would it start fine one day then literally the next day not do anything

Becasue the ground at the starter or block may be poor to begin with and had just enough contact to start one day then with a little more moisture in the air not be sufficient. Just grab the ground wire, wiggle iot side to side a few times and give it a try. If it starts, remove the ground and clean all the sirfaces very well.

it gets to the solenoid (pos) my biggest question is why would it start fine one day then literally the next day not do anything

Becasue the ground at the starter or block may be poor to begin with and had just enough contact to start one day then with a little more moisture in the air not be sufficient. Just grab the ground wire, wiggle iot side to side a few times and give it a try. If it starts, remove the ground and clean all the sirfaces very well.

bnickel has the right idea. The first step in diagnosing any electrical problem is making sure all connections are clean, brite, and tight. It could easily be a poor connection at the positive cable terminal of the battery, or a faulty ground. A poor connection can carry voltage, but put it under a "load" and the connection can't handle the amperage draw. A "load tester" is a great way to track down these poor connections in the starting system, and I've seen them in various parts stores and discount tool stores for around $35-$40. Some may call it a "battery tester", but it's a handy gadget to have and may pay for itself if it saves you from, say, replacing a battery that wasn't bad after all.

bnickel has the right idea. The first step in diagnosing any electrical problem is making sure all connections are clean, brite, and tight. It could easily be a poor connection at the positive cable terminal of the battery, or a faulty ground. A poor connection can carry voltage, but put it under a "load" and the connection can't handle the amperage draw. A "load tester" is a great way to track down these poor connections in the starting system, and I've seen them in various parts stores and discount tool stores for around $35-$40. Some may call it a "battery tester", but it's a handy gadget to have and may pay for itself if it saves you from, say, replacing a battery that wasn't bad after all.

Another option is that the battery is really and truly shot. :)

This usually happens as a result of warm weather but cold takes a toll on batteries as well. A load tester or multi-meter can tell you a lot more about the state of your battery and checking your terminals and connections is always a good place to start.

-Static

Another option is that the battery is really and truly shot. :)

This usually happens as a result of warm weather but cold takes a toll on batteries as well. A load tester or multi-meter can tell you a lot more about the state of your battery and checking your terminals and connections is always a good place to start.

-Static