Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

369coupes

what to do with my new coupe

hey all i just picked up a nudder coupe (a big thanks to russ69coupe) (russ is a very nice guy by the way) anywho now that ive gotten it im kinda wonderin what i should do with it the most obvious thing that i am going to do is remove its vynil top so if anyone needs the top trim let me know i have some ideas boppin around in my head but nuthin concrete my girlfriends coupe and my white coupe are both going the "semi-resto-mod" route

and since i lean more toward the straight line acceleration side of things im thinking of building this one more suited to doing that any ideas on which engine i should go with (this one is engine less) are there any major issues in trying to slip a cleveland between the shock towers? or would another engine be a better choice?

trans, i had a fmx in my old 72 mach it didnt shift into drive until i was almost in the traps (stock un modified) my coupe has a c-4 and i have an extra one laying here would this be a good trans ??? if it needs modifacations what mods? and the c-6 ive always believed the c-6 was the best trans ford had (auto wise) but i know they are heeeeavy which is the best to use?

i know i dont want this coupe to be strip only but i want it to lean heavily that way .....i think

oh and just out of curiousity this coupe is a rather blah shade of light yellow and the original door tag is gone could some one tell me what color this is? no i dont have pics of it yet

hey all i just picked up a nudder coupe (a big thanks to russ69coupe) (russ is a very nice guy by the way) anywho now that ive gotten it im kinda wonderin what i should do with it the most obvious thing that i am going to do is remove its vynil top so if anyone needs the top trim let me know i have some ideas boppin around in my head but nuthin concrete my girlfriends coupe and my white coupe are both going the "semi-resto-mod" route

and since i lean more toward the straight line acceleration side of things im thinking of building this one more suited to doing that any ideas on which engine i should go with (this one is engine less) are there any major issues in trying to slip a cleveland between the shock towers? or would another engine be a better choice?

trans, i had a fmx in my old 72 mach it didnt shift into drive until i was almost in the traps (stock un modified) my coupe has a c-4 and i have an extra one laying here would this be a good trans ??? if it needs modifacations what mods? and the c-6 ive always believed the c-6 was the best trans ford had (auto wise) but i know they are heeeeavy which is the best to use?

i know i dont want this coupe to be strip only but i want it to lean heavily that way .....i think

oh and just out of curiousity this coupe is a rather blah shade of light yellow and the original door tag is gone could some one tell me what color this is? no i dont have pics of it yet

the 69 pale yellow color is called Meadowlark Yellow.

if you want a straight line car, go for the sleeper style and leave the Meadlowlark yellow.:devil:

the 70 models came stock with the 351c so there is no issue in putting one in. the c4 would be fine but probably needs some beefing up, what exactly i'm not sure though. i'm not a big c4 fan. you could also use the cleve heads on a 302 roller block and use a 331 or 347 stroker kit in it and have a Psuedo Boss 302. if you put i high hp v8 in it you'll want to run a 9" rearend though.

the 69 pale yellow color is called Meadowlark Yellow.

if you want a straight line car, go for the sleeper style and leave the Meadlowlark yellow.:devil:

the 70 models came stock with the 351c so there is no issue in putting one in. the c4 would be fine but probably needs some beefing up, what exactly i'm not sure though. i'm not a big c4 fan. you could also use the cleve heads on a 302 roller block and use a 331 or 347 stroker kit in it and have a Psuedo Boss 302. if you put i high hp v8 in it you'll want to run a 9" rearend though.

so a cleve head has the same bolt pattern as a 302? hmmm i thought they were different or the water passages were different

if cleve heads will fit a 302 will they also fit a 351w just curious

by 302 roller block im guessing you mean a later model block that had a roller cam in it right? if thats the case what years 302 should i look for ? where do all these guys come with these magical "aussie" cleveland heads that are supposedly so good? were they australia only or ????

are 351/400M heads as good as a cleveland head or should they be avoided?sorry for all the questions i know all the ends and out of mopar engines just learning on the fords

so a cleve head has the same bolt pattern as a 302? hmmm i thought they were different or the water passages were different

by 302 roller block im guessing you mean a later model block that had a roller cam in it right? if thats the case what years 302 should i look for ? where do all these guys come with these magical "aussie" cleveland heads that are supposedly so good? were they australia only or ????

are 351/400M heads as good as a cleveland head or should they be avoided?sorry for all the questions i know all the ends and out of mopar engines just learning on the fords

This is a pretty good read on Clevor building:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/30220/

..and some more info:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/30220/index1.html

..or if you want a years worth of good, bad and unknown discussion on the subject go here:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/windsor-cleveland-head-compatibility-302-blocks-78105.html

or more...

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/homemade-302-boss-102221.html

Sorry to link out so much but there are lots of interesting discussion on the subject.

-Stephen

..and some more info:

..or if you want a years worth of good, bad and unknown discussion on the subject go here:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/windsor-cleveland-head-compatibility-302-blocks-78105.html

or more...

Sorry to link out so much but there are lots of interesting discussion on the subject.

-Stephen

Give it back,I am going through withdrawal!

just kidding.

I will be fine in about 30 days.

aeiafeafkafmcnvijxca,sdemtaewnfvmdavnmkxcnm,n,amsndknnfkgnakdfsmnmnmskdnfksdnmn<MXZnsdvcmnSD.,v

sdlkvnksdnmv,nsdkmvnsadnkmvnsd,mnvm,zxcNv,mnsDV

maybe, if I last that long that is.

Russ

Give it back,I am going through withdrawal!

just kidding.

I will be fine in about 30 days.

aeiafeafkafmcnvijxca,sdemtaewnfvmdavnmkxcnm,n,amsndknnfkgnakdfsmnmnmskdnfksdnmn<MXZnsdvcmnSD.,v

sdlkvnksdnmv,nsdkmvnsadnkmvnsd,mnvm,zxcNv,mnsDV

maybe, if I last that long that is.

Russ

i'd stay away from the 351m/400 heads personally. the earlier ones are pretty much identical to 351c 2v heads but the later heads are different.

Aussie heads were made only in Australia but have been imported here for a long time. check out www.powerheads.com for decent prices on Aussie heads.

i'd stay away from the 351m/400 heads personally. the earlier ones are pretty much identical to 351c 2v heads but the later heads are different.

Aussie heads were made only in Australia but have been imported here for a long time. check out www.powerheads.com for decent prices on Aussie heads.

..and some more info:

or more...

-Stephen

what was up with that one guy saying you need a different cam? that's freaking stupid, if anything it's a bonus becuase you'll actually get more valve lift since the W cam is designed for 1.6 rockers and the C cam is designed for 1.72 rockers.

..and some more info:

or more...

-Stephen

what was up with that one guy saying you need a different cam? that's freaking stupid, if anything it's a bonus becuase you'll actually get more valve lift since the W cam is designed for 1.6 rockers and the C cam is designed for 1.72 rockers.

Yeah, stick with the ones that are Cleveland. the later ones are smog motor heads at their worst.

Re aftermarket, MPG is selling what they are calling 3V heads. Supposed to have the advantages of the 4V heads without the drawbacks.

And to answer your other question Keith, no, Cleveland heads do not have the same anything as windsors. Like someone else said, do a search on "Clevor" engines. These are the windsor blocks with the cleveland heads. They are starting to become less popular since the aftermarket has started producing some really good windsor heads.

I was going to put a stroked Cleveland in that car, still will in my other one. You will want a 9 inch rear with a cleveland. Believe me. Unless you like breaking rears. Get one out of a 70 with all the brackets, bolt it right in that one. The clevelands use the small block mounts, so that is even easy. Get the radiator from a 70 with a Cleveland also if you can.

Or

Yeah, stick with the ones that are Cleveland. the later ones are smog motor heads at their worst.

Re aftermarket, MPG is selling what they are calling 3V heads. Supposed to have the advantages of the 4V heads without the drawbacks.

And to answer your other question Keith, no, Cleveland heads do not have the same anything as windsors. Like someone else said, do a search on "Clevor" engines. These are the windsor blocks with the cleveland heads. They are starting to become less popular since the aftermarket has started producing some really good windsor heads.

I was going to put a stroked Cleveland in that car, still will in my other one. You will want a 9 inch rear with a cleveland. Believe me. Unless you like breaking rears. Get one out of a 70 with all the brackets, bolt it right in that one. The clevelands use the small block mounts, so that is even easy. Get the radiator from a 70 with a Cleveland also if you can.

Or

continued, damn these fat fingers!!!

just build a stroker 302 or a 351W. I am a Cleveland fan from years and years ago, that is why I am going with one now. Would be much cheaper to go the 302 route.

Russ

continued, damn these fat fingers!!!

just build a stroker 302 or a 351W. I am a Cleveland fan from years and years ago, that is why I am going with one now. Would be much cheaper to go the 302 route.

Russ

i like the clevor engines just for the uniqueness factor and they do preform exceptionally well also. there is actually a good chance you could also get inproved mileage from a clevor engine as opposed to a straight windsor design. the cleveland head not only develops more power than a stock windsor head but it is so much more efficient that mileage can be exceptional.

when i graduated from high school one of my best friends and i drove his 73 gran torino from West Texas to San Diego California and we got an average of 24-26 MPG on the way there. this in a 2 ton 4 door car with well over 100k on the clock. it was a 2v cleve with FMX auto and 2.75 geared 9". had that car had a 302 or even a 351w i seriously doubt we'd have gotten anywhere near that mileage. i think the 351w might have gotten 20-22 MPG and a weak ass 302 probably would have only pulled down 18-20 mpg if that.

i like the clevor engines just for the uniqueness factor and they do preform exceptionally well also. there is actually a good chance you could also get inproved mileage from a clevor engine as opposed to a straight windsor design. the cleveland head not only develops more power than a stock windsor head but it is so much more efficient that mileage can be exceptional.

when i graduated from high school one of my best friends and i drove his 73 gran torino from West Texas to San Diego California and we got an average of 24-26 MPG on the way there. this in a 2 ton 4 door car with well over 100k on the clock. it was a 2v cleve with FMX auto and 2.75 geared 9". had that car had a 302 or even a 351w i seriously doubt we'd have gotten anywhere near that mileage. i think the 351w might have gotten 20-22 MPG and a weak ass 302 probably would have only pulled down 18-20 mpg if that.

Yeah I should have put a disclaimer on that besides just 'the unknown' since it is a thread of 'enlightened' and non-enlightened as well. You almost have to read the whole thread to make sure what it what. Sorry. It's kind of funny though some of the comments made.

-Stephen

Yeah I should have put a disclaimer on that besides just 'the unknown' since it is a thread of 'enlightened' and non-enlightened as well. You almost have to read the whole thread to make sure what it what. Sorry. It's kind of funny though some of the comments made.

-Stephen

ugh russ ,ya cant have it back its mine now mwahahahahaha, lol

my 72 mach had a cleveland2v in it that was my first experience with a ford (my grampa who retired from gm hated that i bought a ford) and that old car was one of the best i ever owned one of the few the never let me down (too bad that dumbass blonde in the relaint had to total it for me) but from the expreinces i had with the mach is why i want to run a cleve again

i guess i got alot of reading to do with all the links posted here

ok so a cleve head will bolt to a 302 but not a 351w right?

thanks for all the info guys

its funny if this was a mopar board everyone would be telling me to drop a hemi in it or a 440 but noone here has said to put one of the big FEs into it (not that i have the money for a hemi by the way) even though i have a few big block chryslers laying around dont worry guys im a purist if its a ford body it should have a ford engine halfbreeds seldom run right

my 72 mach had a cleveland2v in it that was my first experience with a ford (my grampa who retired from gm hated that i bought a ford) and that old car was one of the best i ever owned one of the few the never let me down (too bad that dumbass blonde in the relaint had to total it for me) but from the expreinces i had with the mach is why i want to run a cleve again

its funny if this was a mopar board everyone would be telling me to drop a hemi in it or a 440 but noone here has said to put one of the big FEs into it (not that i have the money for a hemi by the way) even though i have a few big block chryslers laying around dont worry guys im a purist if its a ford body it should have a ford engine halfbreeds seldom run right

the cleve heads will fit on any windsor block including the 351. the problem is trying to fit a 351w block with 351c heads in a 69/70 stang, it'll fit but it's at least tight as an FE maybe tighter.

well a hemi would get you the least "WTF" questions from anyone about it being a crossbreed. i don't think most people would argue with it anyway.