Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pakrat

Shock tower brace options???

I thought I was pretty much set on the idea of just adding a monte carlo bar to my car. It looks like there are already holes drilled form a previous one in fact that was removed at some point. Then I decided maybe I should be doing a one piece export brace as well instead of just my stock one and then that led me to start drooling over some of the complete units but yikes they seem pricey. So other than home made kits I'd like to know if anyone already has some nice looking options they would care to share??????

I thought I was pretty much set on the idea of just adding a monte carlo bar to my car. It looks like there are already holes drilled form a previous one in fact that was removed at some point. Then I decided maybe I should be doing a one piece export brace as well instead of just my stock one and then that led me to start drooling over some of the complete units but yikes they seem pricey. So other than home made kits I'd like to know if anyone already has some nice looking options they would care to share??????

I just bought the Maier Racing Export brace/tower brace (All one piece). I haven't installed it yet, so I can't say how it will look, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a new aircleaner for it to fit.

I just bought the Maier Racing Export brace/tower brace (All one piece). I haven't installed it yet, so I can't say how it will look, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a new aircleaner for it to fit.

the maier unit is probably the only aftermarket tubular unit i would use. the problem with most of the tubular ones like the TCP brace and others like it is that they use heim joints which allow movement. you don't want movement at all, that's what the export braces and monte carlo bars are for.

the maier unit is probably the only aftermarket tubular unit i would use. the problem with most of the tubular ones like the TCP brace and others like it is that they use heim joints which allow movement. you don't want movement at all, that's what the export braces and monte carlo bars are for.

Yeah I saw the Maier one in the Reen Machine article in MM this month and though it had a nice clean and simple design. 200 bucks seems like alot though compared to a regular Monte Carlo bar. I wonder how well it clears the dizzy too? I really don't want to have to change my air cleaner either to fit it. I think that is why the Monte Carlo bar was removed to begin with on my car, I think the PO went back to a stock type base and had to remove it to fit it. Maybe I should just stick with a regular Monte bar then considering how much cheaper they are.

Chunk, maybe you can keep us posted on the install and issues if any you run into?

Yeah I saw the Maier one in the Reen Machine article in MM this month and though it had a nice clean and simple design. 200 bucks seems like alot though compared to a regular Monte Carlo bar. I wonder how well it clears the dizzy too? I really don't want to have to change my air cleaner either to fit it. I think that is why the Monte Carlo bar was removed to begin with on my car, I think the PO went back to a stock type base and had to remove it to fit it. Maybe I should just stick with a regular Monte bar then considering how much cheaper they are.

Chunk, maybe you can keep us posted on the install and issues if any you run into?

Yeah, I'll let you know, but it probably won't get installed for awhile. I don't have a nice cosy garage to work in, and it looks to be a long cold winter. If I get a nice sunny and "snow free" day, I'll put it on and get some pics.

Yeah, I'll let you know, but it probably won't get installed for awhile. I don't have a nice cosy garage to work in, and it looks to be a long cold winter. If I get a nice sunny and "snow free" day, I'll put it on and get some pics.

I just noticed that Laurel Mountain Mustang has started to make a new unit, it looks alot like the Maier Piece but it is half the price at like $110, what do you guys think?

e5_1.JPG

In fact right now you can even find them on Ebay with a buy it now price of under $100.

The Maier unit for reference looks like this and is $220.

largepnms2200.jpg

Protowrxs bought one of the LM units and ended up cutting apart and rebuilding it because it fit like crap. i'd just use the one piece export brace and add a monte carlo bar if it was me.

Really, well that sticks. Was there a thread on it that I missed?

EDIT: Never mind I found it from back in May. I guess it's safe to assume they have not made it any better since then either. Oh well, get what ya pay for I guess.