Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jcmach69

Where do I start?

Hello, I'm relatively new to the site and I could use some advice. I have a lot of questions, but I'll try to keep it as short as I can for now. I have a 69 mach 1 with a 351W 4bbl and fmx tranny. My father bought it in 1980 or '81 and fixed it up for himself. This car has sentimental value as it was given to me in 1987 for my 16th birthday by my father. I was a typical teen, who at the time did not realize what I had. I hot-rodded the mustang and basically did not take care of it. I drove it for 3 years and finally parked it in 1990 because I did not have the money to maintain it properly. It sat outside in the elements for about 2 years until I garaged it, but the damage was already done I'm sure. It hasn't been really driven since 1990 and I last started it up in 2003. To make a long story short; the mustang needs to be restored. The mustang has rust on both doors(bottom near the rear tires), the hood has started to get rust bubbles(near the hood latch), rust along the drip moldings, rust on the deck lid(along the edge below the letter M), rust on the undercarrige, and I noticed a couple of rust holes in the floorpans. I know it sounds bad, but like I said earlier this car means something to me. One of these days I will eventually pass it down to one of my sons. But where do I start? I am by no means a mechanic. I posses only basic skills. About how much can I expect to pay for a restoration? I can assist my father with pulling the engine and tranny out and with the interior work. That is about the extent of what I can do. Do I need a total off the frame restoration? I want the rust to be cut out and replaced with patches or panels. Once everything is done it will be driven maybe once or twice a week. I want the exterior and interior to be original and I plan on putting a mild roller cam & lifters in the motor. Sorry I got so long winded. Any advice and information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello, I'm relatively new to the site and I could use some advice. I have a lot of questions, but I'll try to keep it as short as I can for now. I have a 69 mach 1 with a 351W 4bbl and fmx tranny. My father bought it in 1980 or '81 and fixed it up for himself. This car has sentimental value as it was given to me in 1987 for my 16th birthday by my father. I was a typical teen, who at the time did not realize what I had. I hot-rodded the mustang and basically did not take care of it. I drove it for 3 years and finally parked it in 1990 because I did not have the money to maintain it properly. It sat outside in the elements for about 2 years until I garaged it, but the damage was already done I'm sure. It hasn't been really driven since 1990 and I last started it up in 2003. To make a long story short; the mustang needs to be restored. The mustang has rust on both doors(bottom near the rear tires), the hood has started to get rust bubbles(near the hood latch), rust along the drip moldings, rust on the deck lid(along the edge below the letter M), rust on the undercarrige, and I noticed a couple of rust holes in the floorpans. I know it sounds bad, but like I said earlier this car means something to me. One of these days I will eventually pass it down to one of my sons. But where do I start? I am by no means a mechanic. I posses only basic skills. About how much can I expect to pay for a restoration? I can assist my father with pulling the engine and tranny out and with the interior work. That is about the extent of what I can do. Do I need a total off the frame restoration? I want the rust to be cut out and replaced with patches or panels. Once everything is done it will be driven maybe once or twice a week. I want the exterior and interior to be original and I plan on putting a mild roller cam & lifters in the motor. Sorry I got so long winded. Any advice and information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Make it a long term project. Do what you can when you can afford it but do it right. Think of it as money in the bank and collecting intrest as it sits. It will (hopefully) never be worth less than it is right now. Start pouring through the Mustang vendor catalogs and putting the parts away. Nowadays you can get nearly all the parts to build your own '69/70 Mustang like new. Get the rust stopped/replaced and go from there. Good luck and stay in touch.

Make it a long term project. Do what you can when you can afford it but do it right. Think of it as money in the bank and collecting intrest as it sits. It will (hopefully) never be worth less than it is right now. Start pouring through the Mustang vendor catalogs and putting the parts away. Nowadays you can get nearly all the parts to build your own '69/70 Mustang like new. Get the rust stopped/replaced and go from there. Good luck and stay in touch.

definitely start by disassembling the car and send it to a reputable body shop or preferably restoration facility to get the bodywork and paint done and start from there. get as many restoration reference manuals as you can, go online to all the mustang parts suppliers and order all the catalogs you can get your hands on, buy the factory shop manual set and all the assembly manuals and wiring and vacuum diagrams. do a lot of research and ask questions here and at other forums. we don't mind answering your questions but also use the search feature as you can usually have a bunch of your questions answered without even having to ask them but don't be afraid to ask if you can't find the answer.

TIP: when disassembling the car make sure to put all the parts in ziplock bags or boxes or plastic tubs, even old coffee cans, and mark everything with where it came from. sticky notes and sharpies are your friend. LOL

also make sure to order the Marti Report so you'll know exactly what options your car came with from the factory. Research, Research, Research!!!!!!

definitely start by disassembling the car and send it to a reputable body shop or preferably restoration facility to get the bodywork and paint done and start from there. get as many restoration reference manuals as you can, go online to all the mustang parts suppliers and order all the catalogs you can get your hands on, buy the factory shop manual set and all the assembly manuals and wiring and vacuum diagrams. do a lot of research and ask questions here and at other forums. we don't mind answering your questions but also use the search feature as you can usually have a bunch of your questions answered without even having to ask them but don't be afraid to ask if you can't find the answer.

TIP: when disassembling the car make sure to put all the parts in ziplock bags or boxes or plastic tubs, even old coffee cans, and mark everything with where it came from. sticky notes and sharpies are your friend. LOL

also make sure to order the Marti Report so you'll know exactly what options your car came with from the factory. Research, Research, Research!!!!!!

And take MORE pictures than you think you'll ever need. Advice from a guy who didn't take enough pictures. =)

So true.. before/during tear down pics are a must. I made that mistake as well.

I think I know how to put it all back together but even today I was putting the front brakes together and couldn't remember the details.

-Stephen

And take MORE pictures than you think you'll ever need. Advice from a guy who didn't take enough pictures. =)

So true.. before/during tear down pics are a must. I made that mistake as well.

I think I know how to put it all back together but even today I was putting the front brakes together and couldn't remember the details.

-Stephen