Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackx

Curious about fit...

I have a 69 coupe and am going to replace the motor in it cause yeah lets just say it's not working anymore...:thumbup: Anyway i am looking at options of what to put in and was looking at jegs for a crate motor.. Anybody know if this will fit in the engine compartment or what the largest size of motor that will fit in there. I have a 351C right now and it is kind of tight. I would check it outmyself but i am in Korea right now with the army and my car is in storage.. Just trying to get parts and pieces all together for when I come home...

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_83461_-1_10763

Thanks for any help in advance.

Adam

Nice choice. You will have to modify the shock towers if your car isn't already setup for a big block. Other than that there shouldn't be too many problems. It will be tight even with the mod'd towers though.

You have to set them up like they were in the Boss 429 cars.

Boy all I can say is I guess I need to think twice about enlisting because either the army pays way more than I ever realized or you are thinking of still living in a tent when you come home, LOL. I could only ever dream of buying an engine like that and I have a pretty big budget I'm working with.:tt1:

I love big blocks.... but why?

The amount of weight up front will really kill you, not to mention you can build a forced induction/Nitrous Small block that goes just as fast and will handle much better as well.

We have turbo windsor's in the 8's around here, nitrous windsors in the mid 8's and all motor windsor's in the mid 9's. These are all builds that are reasonable and not rediculous.

If you're dead set on a big block, go for it! If not, look into a 351w stroked to a 408 or so with a set of AFR 225's and a Vortech YSi :tt1:

I've seen several 69/70's with that engine and they did modify the shock towers. Asked everyone of them if they would have done it again and all said NO. All would have gone small block like a 392 or 408 stroker. There's a few pics of a 70 FB with a 460 in my gallery.

The extra weight up front, shoe horning the engine in and cutting shock towers all are negatives.

Personally, I would go with the 392 stroker from Ford Racing. Will fit perfect and can use the OEM motor mounts. Very strong engine..... and a 2yr/24k warranty is nice.:yes:

111_1158.jpg

this car was in the Car Craft World's Fastest Street Car Shootout back in the early 90's. it had one the early 514 crate motors and did not have the shock towers modified at all. we swapped a 351c in the car and put the 514 in my buddy's 57 ford. the guy in the pic is the guy that owned the car before my buddy bought it.

I don't doubt it's possible to shoe horn these monsters in without having to touch the shock towers but do you also need to pull the engine everytime you want to change the plugs? I mean look how hard that task is on a 428???? I just think that it not only needs to fit but it needs to be reasonably servicable too. Every monster I have seen has looked better IMHO when it had other conversions as well to eliminate the shock towers completely with smooth walls and get some elbow room back in the engine bay.

no, you don't have to remove the engine to change plugs. that doen't mean it's easy by any any means but it's not all that hard with the right tools. in some cases the valve covers may have to be removed but not all. we were able to change the plugs on the car above without having to remove anything but it was definitely tight, i know on at least 2 plugs we had to use a spark plug socket with an open end wrench but it's doable. if you run a good ignition system you won't need to change the plugs too often, maybe once a year or so.

You have to set them up like they were in the Boss 429 cars.

Boy all I can say is I guess I need to think twice about enlisting because either the army pays way more than I ever realized or you are thinking of still living in a tent when you come home, LOL. I could only ever dream of buying an engine like that and I have a pretty big budget I'm working with.:tt1:

I would not say that the pay is outstanding but I do not have to pay for insurance or a house payment or anything like that with the army... They pay for some stuff for sure.. I think the best thing though right now is, is that I own a house in the states rent it out so that is paid for and then I get paid extra money being stationed in Korea right now and then not having any bills other than phone bill helps alot too...

But anyway back to the subject. I just want some big ass horsepower at first instead of down the road wanting it and spending money again.. I would rather do it once rather than two or three times... I never thought of the twin turbos though.. What's something like that run.. I have a Cleavland right now so is that still possible??? Just trying to get the best bang for my buck.. Oh yeah and i love speed... Just a little more background too.. I want something i can cruise around the town or the hills back in South Dakota but at the same time go to strip and blow the shit out of a camaro or somthing similar...

Thanks for all the help thus far...

well, if you still want to be able to zig zag throuhg the hills with the car i'd suggest something based on the small block, either a sroker windsor or stroker cleveland. since you already have the cleve i'd say build that up into a 408 and add a centrifugal supercharger like a paxton or vortech unit.

I totally agree, for all around performance I'd build up a small block especially since you already have some great foundations, think what you could do to them with the money you would spend on a big block.

BB's are really only good for bragging rights unless you are just interested in a straight line car. Think of it this way, there is a reason they made such diverse BOSS cars. A 429 is great for qtr miles but try pitting one against a 302 on a track with alot more turns than straight aways and see what happens. I'm not ranking on BB's mind you, that would be foolish, they are to drool over for sure but if you truely want to do it once then really think about what you want to be able to do with the car first, horsepower comes from alot of places in bigger and smaller packages.

Hey I really appreciate the help on trying to get this decided upon. Thanks for shedding the light and bringing a couple points to mind. I think I am gonna go with the SB 351C... Can I stroke and charge or can I only or should I only do stroke or charge??? Which one would you go with if there is only one that can be done.. Stroke, Super or Turbo

You can do any combo, speed is only a matetr of money. I'd go stroke and supercharger. Turbo's can make great power and have come a long way from their origins and the way they would lag but I have never liked the whine sound too much. On modern cars they are OK but I think superchargers are much more muscle car oriented personally.

I've been toying with buying a vintage paxton from my father in law for some time now, maybe when it comes time for me to rebuild and stroke my 302 to a 347 which is hopefully a few years away.

Hey I really appreciate the help on trying to get this decided upon. Thanks for shedding the light and bringing a couple points to mind. I think I am gonna go with the SB 351C... Can I stroke and charge or can I only or should I only do stroke or charge??? Which one would you go with if there is only one that can be done.. Stroke, Super or Turbo

you can stroke it and blow it at the same time (heehee) it won't hurt anything as long as you keep it reasonable. personally, i'd go with a supercharger over a turbo but that's just my opinion. if i could only do one, i'd go stroker.

I'm sure there are tons of places around with a variety of kits, though maybe not as much variety for a Cleavland as a Windsor. One thing I will say is I have been very happy with my new relationship at Summit Racing. I have found their prices to be competitive and their service excellent. So far I have gotten every order in two days by selecting the free ground shipping and if you hold up your items to order in bulk than the $9 handling charge is way less than regular or two days shipping most places have.

I am not saying this is the correct kit for you, it is the only 408 I saw and does not have a lot of info but you can probably look up Eagle Specialty products seperately to get more info. This is just as a reference only.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ESP%2DB14805030&N=700+115&autoview=sku