Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JC69Stang

Last Call for Wheel and Tire help.

Ok,

I have been in contact with the guys that make the Vintage Venom kit. He has told me that there is no way an 18 x 9" wheel will fit in the front. That it will hit the UCA and fender etc. It has to be a wheel of 8" or less.

I thought that someone on here had 9" wide wheels on the front of their car at one time right?

I am ok with rolling the fenders and using wheel spacers. I have run a 15 x 8" on the front for 10+ years using a small spacer. Never a problem. or a rub ever...

So...

I am determined to use the FR500 style wheel. That is for sure.

I do not care if it is 17" or 18", I just want it to be able to work.

Please help a guy out here. :wacko:

If I can't use the venom kit, that is ok too, the wheel selection is set in my mind and I do not want to change it. I saw Mustang Steve had a front and rear set on ebay, so he could be an option afterall...

Thanks in advance fellas!

Ok,

I have been in contact with the guys that make the Vintage Venom kit. He has told me that there is no way an 18 x 9" wheel will fit in the front. That it will hit the UCA and fender etc. It has to be a wheel of 8" or less.

I thought that someone on here had 9" wide wheels on the front of their car at one time right?

I am ok with rolling the fenders and using wheel spacers. I have run a 15 x 8" on the front for 10+ years using a small spacer. Never a problem. or a rub ever...

So...

I am determined to use the FR500 style wheel. That is for sure.

I do not care if it is 17" or 18", I just want it to be able to work.

Please help a guy out here. :wacko:

It is not at all unusual to receive incorrect advice from wheel retailers and magazines. In fact, it's the norm.

Bottlefed1970 is an experienced enthusiast and knows his stuff. He has personally ran 18 x 9s on the front of his 70 coupe with 5.5 inches of backspacing and 245 rubber without a problem. Other sources such as the dodgestang chart, mustang monthly and others back up his claim.

You may well experience problems hitting the ball joint with 17s but the 18s ride up and over it.

As far as the outside fender lip is concerned, a nine inch wheel with 5.5" of bs is no different than a 7 inch wheel with 3.5" of BS (centered).

MD

Bottlefed1970 is an experienced enthusiast and knows his stuff. He has personally ran 18 x 9s on the front of his 70 coupe with 5.5 inches of backspacing and 245 rubber without a problem. Other sources back up this claim.

You may well experience problems hitting the ball joint with 17s but the 18s ride up and over it.

As far as the outside fender lip is concerned, a nine inch wheel with 5.5" of bs is no different than a 7 inch wheel with 3.5" of BS (centered).

MD

What he said. Although I believe I was running 5" of backspacing. (Stock 6" backspacing of bullit wheels + 1" spacer). The rubber was 245/40/18

In the end I didn't like the look of 245 rubber on a 9" wide rim, so I had the rim narrowed 1". This also allowed me to remove the spacer.

The 18x9's fit no problem once I had the correct backspacing. Too much backspacing(More than 5.5") and you'll rub on the upper ball joint.

I'm now running:

-5" backspacing up front with 18x8" Bullit replicas on 245/40/18 rubber

-5.5" backspacing in the rear with 18x9's and 275/35/18 rubber.

- Lowered 3" all around, front fender lips rolled.

What he said. Although I believe I was running 5" of backspacing. (Stock 6" backspacing of bullit wheels + 1" spacer). The rubber was 245/40/18

In the end I didn't like the look of 245 rubber on a 9" wide rim, so I had the rim narrowed 1". This also allowed me to remove the spacer.

The 18x9's fit no problem once I had the correct backspacing. Too much backspacing(More than 5.5") and you'll rub on the upper ball joint.

I'm now running:

-5" backspacing up front with 18x8" Bullit replicas on 245/40/18 rubber

-5.5" backspacing in the rear with 18x9's and 275/35/18 rubber.

- Lowered 3" all around, front fender lips rolled.

I was going by the following response from you to my question on another thread. So which statement is correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDinDestin viewpost.gif

I know you've told us before, but what was the backspacing on your nines after taking into account the spacers?

5.5"

After I had the fronts narrowed to 8" I was able to ditch the spacers and change the front backspacing to 5.0"

I thought that was the case. thanks again for all of your help. I will be ordering brakes wheels and tire shortly and will post some updated pics once I get going on the project.

thanks again everyone

I thought that was the case. thanks again for all of your help. I will be ordering brakes wheels and tire shortly and will post some updated pics once I get going on the project.

thanks again everyone

Don't forget to post pictures when you've got them mounted.

I was going by the following response from you to my question on another thread. So which statement is correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDinDestin viewpost.gif

I know you've told us before, but what was the backspacing on your nines after taking into account the spacers?

5.5"

After I had the fronts narrowed to 8" I was able to ditch the spacers and change the front backspacing to 5.0"

I get confused about my backspacing as you can see ;) It's changed a couple of times and different front/back.

I'm pretty sure I gave you the wrong reply on that other thread. 5.5" will work, it's just not what I'm running in the front. But I am running 5.5" in the rear.

I get confused about my backspacing as you can see ;) It's changed a couple of times and different front/back.

I'm pretty sure I gave you the wrong reply on that other thread. 5.5" will work, it's just not what I'm running in the front. But I am running 5.5" in the rear.

It can be a confusing topic. When you had the nines on the front with 5" of backspacing was it lowered, or was that before you lowered it?