Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

icebluestang

Mustang TopLoader Tranny Question

Hello,

I have a 1967 Mustang 4 - Speed Top Loader Transmission. I was doing some research and found out the reason for my speedometer not working might not be the speedo drive gear inside the transmission. I have read that some top loader 4 speeds came with a 90 degree reducer piece that goes into the transmission and then the speedo cable plugs into that. Does any one have any idea what I am talking about or is it jibberish? The 90 degree piece usually came on Drag Pack cars with 4:30 gears to keep the miles per hour accurate. My question is does any one know if this is true? does that reducer need to be used with all top loader trannies?

Thank you

I am unsure of what you mean by how does your gear and cable look? It is a wide ration, 28 spline with a brand new speedometer cable. I narrowed down the problem to the tranny. I think the tranny is missing the black speedometer gear drive inside the tranny. check this page (http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/cutawayview.htm) The problem has to lie there, the speedo works inside the car when you spin the end of the cable that goes into the trans.

I meant what condition is your cable and gear. The 28 spline wide ratio trans is the most common. It can be tricky to get the cable to seat correctly in to the gear (that is if the gear is there). If it's not all the way in it can damage the gear.