Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70Coupe

window swap

i realized that if im going to make my rear brake scoops functional i need to remove the window track thus needing the fastback flip out windows. does anybody know how to or have had experience with swaping the coupe quarter windows that roll down to fastback windows that flip out. and yes i realize ill need fastback door windows, to properly seal with the fastback quarter windows, but i already have a set of door windows just needing quarter windows.

i realized that if im going to make my rear brake scoops functional i need to remove the window track thus needing the fastback flip out windows. does anybody know how to or have had experience with swaping the coupe quarter windows that roll down to fastback windows that flip out. and yes i realize ill need fastback door windows, to properly seal with the fastback quarter windows, but i already have a set of door windows just needing quarter windows.

i think you're going to run into problems with that, since the fastback window glass is shorter than coupe glass at the back, due to the fastbacks different roof line, even the windshield is different on the fastback.

I temporarily gave up trying to make my scoops functional during the body work. Once I get the wondows back in I'll try to figureout something then. I did secure them with 6 bolts in the original hole sthough instead of the 3 supplied so they would stay strong catching the wind and in case it was desired to revert back to stock ever.

im thinkin i might just fab up a mount of some kind to keep the windows bolted in, in the up position, to make up work. have to think about it some more.

Yeah that wouldn't be so cool on a vert plus I'm going electric. Once I see the actual area I have to play with I'm thinking of doing a custom plenum as opossed to using the stock 67' shelby brake cooling duct that I originally thought/hoped I could adapt.

that would work too, i agree with the idea not bein cool on a vert, but wth mine i think it might, since i probably wont use those windows. but i dont know, still up in the air about it, unless any of you guys have a good idea to make the rear scoops functional without removing the regulator??

I am thinking about doing this, more because of the hassle of reinstalling the parts(that I don't have anyway) and that I am not going to be using the rear seating area for seating(Roll cage, among other things)

Leave the tracks in place. With the rear interior panels off, move the window up to the completely closed position. Drill a hole so you can put a pin(t-handled, with the little ball bearing thing at the end) in to keep it up in place. (You might need to do two, to keep the window from tilting) Then do the same thing with the window in other positions all the way (or only) at the fully open position. Then you can just pull the pin out and relocate the window. Obviously if you do this you will need to put small holes in the interior quarter panels.

Glad you brought this up, I had completely forgotten about the window regulators being down there. Having a stripped car makes it easy to forget where stuff goes.:huh:

By the way, how are you planning on doing this(the vents being functional, that is)? I was trying to figure out something last night. I am wanting to do this without the Ford vents, they are just something on a coupe that always looked bad to me. I don't like the shape of NACA ducts either. Thought about the Shelby types, but I really want to keep a smooth line on the body. I really don't know what to do yet.

Russ

Well, I think you already decided not to do this, but it's good information anyways. If you did want to change the front window glass with the fastbacks, even the tracks are different, and the fastback tracks are very hard to find. I know this because me and my dad searched and searched (even out of our state) to find 70 fastback bolt on windows and systems for our 69 fastbacks (they have a crappy glued in design that breaks all the time) and the coupe stuff does not work on a fastback.

Just so you know.

Glad you brought this up, I had completely forgotten about the window regulators being down there. Having a stripped car makes it easy to forget where stuff goes.:huh:

Russ

Yeah tell me about it, that fact almost made me cut into the qtr. before fully thinking it through until I discussed it more in depth with folks here first. Even Bnickel who is an ultimate source of knowledge alomst led me a astray and I usually follow his advice blindly. I really wanted to do this before paint but that area would always be hidden so it doesn't really matter I guess if I can figure out the way to do a plenum after everything is back together and driveable.

I know on alot of other sites that using the search function can be frustrating because of all the years they cover but because we are 69/70 specific here I encourage all of you to make better use of it as there honestly are very few subjects that we have not already covered 6 ways to sunday and you can pick up alot of info that may not be yielded from just making a new post.

I took the liberty of doing it for you this time: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1289&highlight=functional

Well, I think you already decided not to do this, but it's good information anyways. If you did want to change the front window glass with the fastbacks, even the tracks are different, and the fastback tracks are very hard to find. I know this because me and my dad searched and searched (even out of our state) to find 70 fastback bolt on windows and systems for our 69 fastbacks (they have a crappy glued in design that breaks all the time) and the coupe stuff does not work on a fastback.

Just so you know.

The problem is not with the design at all, the problem was with the glue! Today's technology no longer makes investing in a whole new 70' style regulator system to replace an otherwise perfectly good part of your car necessary. Save the money for something better that can actually be visually seen on the car. Here's just a few of many discussions on this topic.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1587&highlight=glue

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1470&highlight=glue

:detective:Everyone repaet after me, "The Search Engine is our friend!" :smartass: :thumbup1: