Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tman

70 Mustang P/S control valve problem!! HELP!!

Could really use some help!! I replaced my p/s control valve on my 79 Mach 1 due to sloppy and sparatic steering. After replacing the valve within minutes I had no power steering at all!!! I thought I had a defect so I put a second one on and the same thing happened! The car has virtually no power steering and in fact is probably harder to turn than manual.. OH y:taz: ea... I even replaced the power steering pump. Can anyone please help!!!

tman

on second thought .... Are you asking if we put fluid in the valve itself before installation? Obviously after removing the hoses going to it we had to replace the fluid in the power steering pump which I assume got to the valve.

on second thought .... Are you asking if we put fluid in the valve itself before installation? Obviously after removing the hoses going to it we had to replace the fluid in the power steering pump which I assume got to the valve.

it was just a joke really. but trans fluid is correct and you don't have to fill the valve first. it's quite common for people to reverse the hoses at valve but that USUALLY resluts in the steering wheel flailing about, but it's possible that you may have done that.

thanks for the advice! At first we did think the hoses were reversed but I'm pretty sure they're correct. fyi.. nothing sparatic happend with the steering wheel .... other than NO power steering.

thanks for the advice! At first we did think the hoses were reversed but I'm pretty sure they're correct. fyi.. nothing sparatic happend with the steering wheel .... other than NO power steering.

like i said that's just what usually happens, but not necessarliy always. i'm still betting some kind of blockage in one of the hoses.

I know when I've done things to my steering I have to turn the wheel from lock to lock a couple of times to get all the air out of the lines. This is normally only needed when the ram is empty, but if you haven't done it it's worth a shot.

done that too!! we kept turning the wheel from left to right with the engine off and the wheels off the ground to rid any air. no help!!

Any possibility the ram is bad??

I've always done it with the engine running and the car on the ground. With the engine running the pump is pumping the fluid and with weight on the tires the valve is opening properly. Remember to keep checking the fluid level.

I would say if it worked before the the ram is probably fine.

Is this a new valve, rebuilt one or did you rebuild the one from the car?

You could try disconnecting the pressure hoses to the ram run the engine and give the wheel a quick turn each way. If fluid spays out of the hoses then maybe your ram is bad! But maybe someone else has a better way to check.

You could try disconnecting the pressure hoses to the ram run the engine and give the wheel a quick turn each way. If fluid spays out of the hoses then maybe your ram is bad! But maybe someone else has a better way to check.

This was my thoughts exactly. Just make sure you have one person watching the hose and the other person in the car to turn the car off ASAP. You only want it to run long enough to see fluid pressure from the line. Does the pump make any kind of noises when the car is started? Does it make any noises when you turn the wheel from lock to lock? If there were a blockage, i'd think the pump would be making some crazy noises when you turn the wheel. Me thinks the pump is bad, but let us know what you find out.

OK!! Out of pure desperation I got another p/s pump and and installed it.

Now I do have power steering only to the left!!! The wheel is still hard to turn to the right! Now what???