Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

369coupes

rear mounted anteneas?

my girlfriends coupe has a rear mounted antenea it has a oval shaped base on it i know the shelbys had rear mounted ones and they make a repo for them i was wondering if the one for a shelby would be the same ??? i dont see why they wouldnt be and yes hers is factory it has stamped holes in the pass 1/4 panel not drilled ones just curious if any of ya would know

my girlfriends coupe has a rear mounted antenea it has a oval shaped base on it i know the shelbys had rear mounted ones and they make a repo for them i was wondering if the one for a shelby would be the same ??? i dont see why they wouldnt be and yes hers is factory it has stamped holes in the pass 1/4 panel not drilled ones just curious if any of ya would know

actually it's not factory. NONE of the 69's came with a factory installed antenna. apparently, the dealers did all of the antenna installations and they had a special tool to punch the holes in the sheetmetal.

That is correct that the dealers installed them and if you requested in the back then they probably would do it.

Odd fact, not all original attennas are correct either. Many a debate had occured at car shows with judges and original owners when folks still had the antenna that came on their car but got a point deduction for it being incorrect. Ford just chucked them in the trunks for shipping and many dealers just thru them into a pile so some cars got an incorrect tear drop shaped one instead of the correct round mast, mine was such a car.

Anyone have a pic of what it should look like?

Yeah on just about every page of every Mustang catalog, usually in the radio section. The only real differences is that 65 to mid 68 had a round base and late 68 to 73 had a rectangular base. :detective:

Seriously though, when my shaft broke I replaced the original with a correct one, I can take a pic of both side by side if you'd like, I just have to dig out the original in my garage.

hmmm so your saying that all mustangs came without a antennea? thats odd so what would you put on the car if it was yours? as i said it has a tear drop or oval shaped base

Yes, shipping tons of brand new cars with an antenna that even when down sticks up over a foot is not smart, they can get bent or snapped off in a heart beat. They left the factory with an antenna but it was uninstalled. The dealers just didn't care which one went to which and they all went into a pile awaiting installation.

OK wait a second, when you say "BASE" do you really mean base, as in the flat part that makes contact with the car and covers the hole or are you reffering to the telescoping shaft as the base? If by the correct definition of base yours is tear drop then it does not even sound like it is Ford, they had round and rectangle bases. If you incorrectly were reffering to the shaft as the base then your tear drop is incorrect, it should be a round mast. Sorry, not trying to be a smartass or anything just trying to clear it all up in one post for you.

As for what I would do, well, I had considered relocating my antenna to the rear while the body work is being done, mainly because I was going to reinstall a new trunk CD player which connects to the radio via the antenna so it would make life easier, plus I am doing Shelby mods and, well, I think it looks hotter that way to be honest. I would not put a rectangular base on the rear though, too bulky. I would have used an earlier model round base on the car for a much cleaner look just like Shelby did.

Becasue I am no longer going with a CD changer though (an outdated concept already) and will be using MP3 or ipod connection to my radio I have decided to keep it in the front and will be buying a Power antenna so that when need be I can still have the cleaner look up front.

yes pak by the base i mean the base that touches the sheetmetal , and i think the shaft is also teardrop shaded as well come to think of it , so if i bought a repo round shelby rear mount it should be "right" right? and yes i aggree the square base would be too bulky on the back the reason this all sounds odd to me is the punched holes in the 1/4 panel has paint on the edge like it was punched then painted i.e. factory it just sounds odd to me the dealers would have to punch the holes then repaint every car in that area all mopars unless they were ordered without a radio got a hole punched in thier fender from the factory ive seen a few that had a factory "dealer" installed block off plate in the fender as well , i just figured that all the manufacturers did the same basic thing accross the board ,learn sumthin new everyday

yes pak by the base i mean the base that touches the sheetmetal , and i think the shaft is also teardrop shaded as well come to think of it , so if i bought a repo round shelby rear mount it should be "right" right? and yes i aggree the square base would be too bulky on the back the reason this all sounds odd to me is the punched holes in the 1/4 panel has paint on the edge like it was punched then painted i.e. factory it just sounds odd to me the dealers would have to punch the holes then repaint every car in that area all mopars unless they were ordered without a radio got a hole punched in thier fender from the factory ive seen a few that had a factory "dealer" installed block off plate in the fender as well , i just figured that all the manufacturers did the same basic thing accross the board ,learn sumthin new everyday

Well, are you sure that the car has factory paint still? Anyone who ever repainted it would surely remove the antenna first. I have never seen a tear drop shaped base so I have no idea what kind of antenna you have, probably some old JC Whitney part.

I would not waste the money on a Shelby antenna repro or not, likely a regular 65/68 repro mustang antenna is cheaper $12-$15 just about anywhere.

that very question has been brought up on many an occasion, it seems that the dealers may have sprayed touch up paint after the hole was punched. let me tell you, this is still something i have a hard time with but all the mustang experts Bob Perkins included have stated that the antennas were not installed at the factory. it may be that in some cases if the car was ordered with the radio that the factory punched the hole in the fender before paint but i can no attest to that as i just don't know. also many cars were ordered as dealer stock and didn't even come with a radio at all and the dealer installed whatever radio the customer wanted be it AM, AM/FM, AM 8 track, stereo, etc. i even found the original fader knob in my car indicating my car had either an AM/FM stereo or AM 8 track stereo.

Well, are you sure that the car has factory paint still? Anyone who ever repainted it would surely remove the antenna first. I have never seen a tear drop shaped base so I have no idea what kind of antenna you have, probably some old JC Whitney part.

I would not waste the money on a Shelby antenna repro or not, likely a regular 65/68 repro mustang antenna is cheaper $12-$15 just about anywhere.

yes im sure the paint under the antenea is original that ugly dark black jade or whatever it was called ohh ok so just any round base would be acceptable