Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rockheretic

Overheating Problem

My car runs fine for about 5 mins. Then the temp gauge shoots up to H in about a min. The upper hose is hot the lower hose is cool. There is flow in the radiator. It is a brand new stock radiator. Which is a 24" 3 row for my car. Any ideas what could be wrong??

One way to find out, remove the stat, drop it in a pot of water boil it on the stove and see if it pops. Even when I buy a new stat I test it that way before I install, it's always a good idea to verify new parts.

Also, just so you know, if you aren't driving in blistering heat then you can get by for a short time by reconnecting without the stat and running an open system. Not recommended for long term use but I have had several unfortunate situations where my stat quit while I was far from home and I've had to yank it, tear the card board back off of a notebook, trace and cut a make shift gasket from it with my leatherman and limp home.

Its a brand new thermostat and water pump. If the thermostat wasnt working wouldnt the upper hose be cold? The upper hose is hot the lower hose is cool. Brand new thermostat housing too. Can the upper hose be hot and the stat be bad?

Yea I don't see how the thermostat could be the problem if the upper hose is hot. My question is did you bleed all the air from the system? Air pockets are the devil.

Also, water pump alright? If the thermostat opens, the top hose will get hot, but if the water pump isn't circulating, the water really won't want to go anywhere.

Not necessarily. You have a 302, both water pumps are easily interchangeable. Sometimes parts boys make mistakes and will give you the late model reverse rotation from a serpentine setup.

Basically always compare the fins on the water pump. I'm not saying that's definitely your problem, but don't get too upset if it turns into a water pump issue.

I've heard that the water pump hose for the 69's changed from passenger side to drivers side half way through the year (not sure how true that is). If you have a passenger side hose then I think you're ok as I don't think they made a reverse rotation pump with the hose on that side.

Its a brand new thermostat and water pump. If the thermostat wasnt working wouldnt the upper hose be cold? The upper hose is hot the lower hose is cool. Brand new thermostat housing too. Can the upper hose be hot and the stat be bad?

actually, yes, it is possible because the heat from the therm housing can transfer to the hose. even if the w.p. was reverse rotation you'd still get some heat transfer throughout the radiator.

I took out the theromstat. I also took off both heater hoses and put a by pass hose on. I opened the cap to the radiator and started it there is no flow in the radiator..its brand new though.. the bottom hose got warm this time. The left side of the radiator was warm while the right side was cool..it took the car longer to creep up to H but it still did. Also the radiator burps..it doesnt flow..when the guage reads about 3/4 of the way to H it spits up..i also had the top off but I dont think it is supposed to do that. any other ideas

I took out the theromstat. I also took off both heater hoses and put a by pass hose on. I opened the cap to the radiator and started it there is no flow in the radiator..its brand new though.. the bottom hose got warm this time. The left side of the radiator was warm while the right side was cool..it took the car longer to creep up to H but it still did. Also the radiator burps..it doesnt flow..when the guage reads about 3/4 of the way to H it spits up..i also had the top off but I dont think it is supposed to do that. any other ideas

This is totally bizarre! I don't want to try to insult your intelligence but I am running out of thoughts so I have to ask this. Was there any shipping plugs in the necks where the hoses attach that maybe you did not remove?

Also, just becasue an item is new does not mean that it works, all parts should be verified. If you have no hoses attached can you put a garden hose to the radiator and see if water runs out the necks and all thru it?

sounds like it's probably the pump then. did you do anything else like head gaskets or anything? if you intalled the head gaskets backwards you could get a similar condition. at this point i'm thinking it's the pump, since you have no flow through the radiator.