Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69_302RustangFB

Independent rear suspension

So... I was up at Barnes and Noble Looking through all the Hot Rod magazines and found an article on a lost classic, Shebly's one of a kind "Green Hornet" Mustang Coupe. According to records on the car it was equipped with experimental (to that erra) independent rear suspension among other things. It got me thinking about the possibilities of equiping my Mustang with a set and was just interested if anyone has done this to thiers, and the best way to go about the conversion.

By the way for any of you that may have read the same article or seen pictures of the Green Hornet its a very sweet looking coupe.:thumbup1:

i remember an article about the car in teh early 90's. the independent rear in the car now is not the original one which got stolen but as close as they could get at the time. i do remember the rear uprights were from a early 90's cougar/t-bird and possibel some of the other parts but almost everything was hand built. the guy that did the resto was going to try to start selling this rearend setup in kit form but it wasn't financially feasible. i've wanted to do an independent rear ever since i read that first article.

if i ever actually do it, probably to the 69 cougar i'm getting after i sell the stang, i'll more than likely use the kit from www.dvsrestorations.com that uses a late model cobra independent rear with a special cradle and brackets to allow it to bolt in the early car. if feasible i'll custom build a 9" center section to replace the 8.8" unit it comes with.

nope. it's the one in the green hornet. totally different system. the guy who did the resto on the green hornet tried to start producing the setup he made for the green hornet which is based on the original designs with the exception of the late model cougar/t-bird (MN-12) uprights and hubs. IMO, the system in the green hornet is a much nicer one than the CTM system which is based on a jaguar IRS