Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dlinebar

Tie Rod question

Hi all,

I want to replace my tie rods, the boots are rotted and I just want to to make me feel safer. I have not done this before and want some advice. What else should I replace. The tie rod sleeves? anything else? It does not seem to hard to do. How long does it take?

I don't think they are bad the just look old. I put the car on a lift and tried to pust the tire in several directions to feel for plan and it was rock solid so I may not even need them but its almost 40 years old and for all I can tell these are original....any advice?

Thanks,

Dan

Personally I'd replace both the inner and outers while doing it Dan. It isn't difficult but it's not as cheap as I would have expected either.

I went with Moog eqiupment and I think the inners were $45 or so each and the outers $35 each from the local Orielly's.

I know it's not really needed but I am going to replace the tie rod sleeves with something better like this:

http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MPFMP&Product_Code=04985&Category_Code=sleeve

I think standard adjustment sleeves are $28 or so for the pair but I always hated using those split sleeves.

I understand the key is removing what you have in one piece, measure the center to center and make your new ones match as close as possible. Just need to check toe in after that which should be real close if the old one aren't worn out.

-Stephen

True, you could get it re-aligned but tie rod ends are only going to affect toe. Of course you really can't get toe in set perfectly in the driveway but I've done it many, many times over the years.

-Stephen