Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

per

351 W

f you take of your air filter, you'll see the firing order cast on top of the inlet manifold.

For those Oz owners, don't forget the yanks distributors spin opposite direction to us.

David.

For those Oz owners, don't forget the yanks distributors spin opposite direction to us.

David.

OK I'll bite. Do they really spin opposite directions? I had the impression that all 351W engines were the same? I'd love to see some links. Thanks.

ps, I'm not being sarcastic, I'd really like to know.

f you take of your air filter, you'll see the firing order cast on top of the inlet manifold.

David.

i thought it was just water going down a drain that spun in a different direction

Thats what I thought. But we go clocwise on the distributor and my leads were all wrong when I tried to change them by followin the firing order. Thats when my mechanic said "the yank tanks spin counter clokwise". Problem solved and firing order was exactly the same as I receive it.

Don't ask me why everything has to be so backwards down here.

David.

I've seen two boats with the same 350 motor that both spin in a different direction.

that's because they are marine engines. one is reverse rotation and one is standard rotation. they are like that to cancel out any torque steer, otherwise the boat would always pull one direction. a lot of ski boats have reverse rotation motors as well, the exact reason for that escapes me but IIRC it has something to do with keepin the ski rope from fouling in the prop.

oh yeah, i forgot, as to FMACHI's question about the rotation of the distributor. the firing order and distributor rotation are the same here as down under, counter clockwise. pretty much all ford are counter clockwise, except y-blocks and flat heads and of course the odd marine engine. small and big block chevys are clockwise and small block mopars are clockwise and big block mopars are counter clockwise. it generally has to with the position of the distributor, front or back of engine, than anything else. pretty much if the distributor is at the front of the engine the dissy rotation is counter clockwise, if the dissy is at the back of the motor the rotation will be clockwise.