Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69Tool

Finally - Drove the car last night!

Hello, I finally drove my car last night after a lot of battling to get this new motor and tranny in. I do have a problem that I am hoping you can help me out with. The tranny shifts nice and smoothly, but when I am at a stop, it seems to disengage, and I have to rev the motor a bit to get it back in place...is that simply low tranny fluid or something? Or is it something bigger? TIA

Tool

Let me guess, you have an FMX? Mine was rebuilt and does the EXACT same thing. I can't wait to get that Tremec in there, I'm so sick of that auto.

Not sure what causes it, but mine only does it when it's cold. I can put it in neutral, rev, and go back in drive and most of the time it'll re-engage.

generally it's either low fluid or old dry seals that allow fluid to bypass the seal. if the fluid level is fine then definitely try some additive either the lucas as manny suggested or K&W which is what i've always used. either one will help. if the conditioner doesn't help you may be looking at a rebuild as the only option. as another option i noticed a rebuilt FMX for sale on the VMF forum in the engine and drivertrain parts section.

:gun_bandana: Gotta love the FMX....

Mine did the same thing. It was just a little low on fluid. Real pain to have to rev it up and it didn't feel good engaging either. I like the Lucas stuff, doesn't hurt to add a quart.

well some transmissions are much worse than the FMX about stuff like that. GM th350's and th400's are horrible about spinning the sprag if the fluid gets low enough to make the trans slip out of gear like the fmx does. i have personally had it happen to me. the trans i my jeep does the seem as the fmx when it gets over 1/2 qt low

Thanks everyone, I forgot to mention that this is a fresh rebuilt tranny with this being its first drive. Sorry about that. I added more fluid and it shifts great now. Thanks again. A bit more fine tuning and I am on the road for real!!! Thanks in large part to all of you here and your awesome help!