Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

afterglow

Exhaust design

I'm restoring my '69 Mach 1 in the Philippines so I try to source locally as much as possible as shipping rates are horrendously expensive.

I'm currently sorting out the design of my exhaust system. It has absolutely nothing to start with so I'm starting with a clean slate. Importing the entire system would be the easiest way to do it but it would also be the most expensive. I've spoken to my exhaust fabricator and while his prices are reasonable and his work is first rate, he has never done a musclecar exhaust yet (mostly Euro exotics & Jap tuners). He's asking me what sort of design I'd like and I had very little to say....

What sort of headers should I get (I'm assuming 4-1)? What length of pipes for the headers?? What design?? How about the exhaust?? Straight-through, x-pipe or h-pipe?? If x-pipe or h-pipe, where do they meet? How many resonators?? And how big??

I'm currently using a 351w 4v stock, although I've replaced the original carb/manifold with Holleys....

Any suggestions?? I'm starting from scratch and the price will be pretty much the same regardless of design......

Well, I just got the Magnaflow 2.5" set up and it's designed very nicely and made to fit perfectly (or so they say) with kind of a mini x-pipe design. Here's is a general pic but if you want, I can take some actual pics of some of the parts with a ruler and that could probably help fab it up some.

BTW, my preference is long tube headers always but shorties may be easier with a custom fab if clearance becomes an issue.

Well, I just got the Magnaflow 2.5" set up and it's designed very nicely and made to fit perfectly (or so they say) with kind of a mini x-pipe design. Here's is a general pic but if you want, I can take some actual pics of some of the parts with a ruler and that could probably help fab it up some.

BTW, my preference is long tube headers always but shorties may be easier with a custom fab if clearance becomes an issue.

I second Pak's idea, I too just finished installing my new 2.5" with Hooker long tube headers and it sounds great. Here is a link to the thread when I received feedback...Good luck with your decision.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1309

I can take some actual pics of some of the parts with a ruler and that could probably help fab it up some.

That would be great!! And if someone could do the same to some Hooker headers that would be even greater. I definitely want to go with long tubes. My exhaust fabricator charges the same amount for long tubes or shorties......

Sure not a problem. My long tubes are even out of the car because I just repainted them. I need to unpack the box anyway and make sure everything is there so I will do it this weekend and have the pics posted up or emailed to you by Monday the latest.

Doh, sorry man. I took a whole bunch of pics on Saturday but I keep forgetting to bring my camera to work with me. I'll stick a big ass post it note on my forehead right now so I remember to pack it in my briefcase as soon as I get home tonight and I'll post them tomorrow.

Hey bud here are your pics of the main pieces, sorry to leave you hanging but hopefully you'll find these useful and worth the wait. When you compare them to the diagram I originally posted above you should be able to identify them. I didn't bother taking pics of the straight filler pieces because those he should be able to figure out as he goes along. If there are any other specific measurments you need then let me know and I can get them for you.

A couple of key things to note, 1) All the pipes are 2 1/2" wide 2) I took the pics on my kitchen floor for a reason, the tiles are all 7 3/4" with a 1/4" grout line so this should aid you in scaling out or verifying any of these measurements and 3) for the over axle pipe I only shot one side but the other is obviously mirror reveresed, the two height measurements should aid in figuring out the bend and radius. Also, you may want to send me a private message with your email address and then I can send you the full resolution pictures which may be more clear then these posted ones.

Good Luck!

Pak

Oh yeah, one other thing, I am still trying to figure out the best way to photograph the header pipes as both sides are unique and require lot's of measurements so I'm not sure yet the best way to provide all the info you may need to duplicate them. It may be best to try and buy these or just wing it as you go along.

Thanks Pakrat!! The exhaust pics are exactly what I'm looking for. Of course, I'm still hoping that you'll be able to get the header pics but I get a feeling that I'll end up having to wing it. My exhaust guy is concerned that winging it might result in a performance loss even though everything will fit perfect. What's your opinion on how sensitive my car will be to different header designs??

I've sent you a PM with my email address....

Well, as I am sure you have noticed there are several different header designs and right and left sides are very different for various clearance reasons. I think the true science behind it if any is just that the various lengths and routing needs to be equalized somwhat on both sides but when adding an X pipe this probably minimizes any variances. I will defintely get you pics just don't know how helpful the measurments will be is all but it will help in the design for sure.