Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

351carlo

WTF Mates? Rear Suspension ?

Ok, im replacing my rear springs and adding a rear sway before the new motor goes in. i was removing everything and im almost done, but i have this small problem..... WHAT ARE THESE?

They are on both sides, and kinda block my way.

Yea, I can't tell why they are there. I know it's not factory because of the sloppy welds. I need to take them off, just have to figure out how to get them off easily.

The only other thing I could think of is some type of traction device..... but alas my car was and always has been a 351c 2v motor with the original 2 barrel coming on it when i bought it. Not to mention a 3.00 peg leg rear.

So long as I get another ''not on mine'' i'll be removing them.

BTW, I removed all of the lighting harness from the engine bay.... WOW does it look nice. I routed it all through a hole between the firewall and driver side fender apron. Now with my new starter location, the wiring will amost be completely out of view. If only I could re-route my water temp sending unit.....

(I see the pics now, maybe my other 'puter was blocking them for some reason).

I just replaced my rear suspension, and there was nothing like that on mine.

BTW, I removed all of the lighting harness from the engine bay.... WOW does it look nice.

Yeah.. I did that back when the car was together and it was much nicer looking. I barely had enough harness to get to the starter solenoid if I remeber correctly but it was worth it. I just want to get to the "putting the harness back in" stage.. :)

BTW I'd use a cut off tool and cut through the weld as best as possible to try to pull those plates off.

-Stephen

Thanks Stephen. The only harness I pulled through was the lights, the main engine harness I still need to consider. More than likely I will have a small set of wires coming down the side of the intake, and have all electrical coming together at the starter so they're out of site. I have a nitrous setup, so the wires are a little more difficult to conceal fully with the safety switches and such.

Oh and as for the cutoff.... it's kind of in a tough space. I think I may opt to just cut out the portion that comes out from the subframe and leave the portion on the subframe intact. Not my favorite idea, but I just dont know about cutting into the subframe accidentally.

They appear to have once been the rear tie down brackets, but have been twisted off badly and possibly welded in. Are they on both sides? They are normally bolted in