Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70Mach03

Looking for feedback on intake manifolds for the 351C-4V engine

I presently have the Weiand X-Celerator which is a single plane manifold. It was on the car when I got it. This is a higher RPM type manifold but around 5500 is my self imposed redline. The power drops off after that. I’m also running a 5-speed with the original 3.00 rear end. The engine is stock with the exception of headers, a Holley 670 CFM Street Avenger carb and a 2.5†Magnaflow X-pipe stainless steel system. It puts out around 250 rwhp and 310 rwtq torque which is fine for me as it’s just a cruiser/show car and not a drag racer.

I think I’d do a little better all around with a dual plane manifold and am considering swapping to the Edelbrock Performer 351 4V. I just feel I don’t have enough carb, cam, or gear to support the higher RPM single plane manifold I have now. I feel the dual plane manifold would be better suited to my lower RPM range and needs.

What manifolds are other 351C-4V owners running out there and how do you like what you have?

Thanks,:001_cool:

If you want a strong intake the Strip Dominator is tough. But it does run in the 3~6k+ rpm range. I was hoping to use it but it's too tall for my shaker. Was getting incredible HP/Torque numbers with it on the dyno. I settled for the Torker and it works fine. Gave up about 20hp and 10ftq though.

BTW: My self imposed RPM limit is 6k using a 6k rev. limiter chip in my MSD AL6 ignition box. My engine builder tells me I'm leaving 50 hp on the table doing that but I tell him it's 50hp on the table versus engine parts all over the road. He proves me wrong running 408C Strokers on extended dyno runs at 7300+rpm. I told him if he fixes stuff for free I will run a 7k rev. limiter. He said nothing....

No knock on 427 since he's my new bestest buddy but the 335 (351C) forum guys don't have too many good things to say about the Performer. They are high on the BT (Blue Thunder) series but they are a bit expensive and sometimes hard to find. I have an Offenhauser 360 split plenum 4V intake for sale. It offers the best of both worlds (low end torque and some gas savings) and operates in the 2500~5500 rpm range. I'm asking $80 plus shipping for it. Clean with no heli coiling on it or needed.

Here is a link to my parts for sale and pictures. Also - the carb is a DP so it has mech. secondaries.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1316

the offy 360 would be a good intake, e'brock also has the new performer air gap intake but i'm not 100% sure they offer it for the 4v heads. the blue thunder is probably the best dual plane intake for the 4v heads but with a 5500 RL the performer 4v intake will probably be just fine.

somtimes those single plane intakes will surprise you though. a friend of mine let me borrow his 69 chevy pu for a while a few years back, at the time he had a stock late model 305 with the good 305 heads (if there is such a thing), headers, torker intake, 650 holley, stock roller cam, and about 9.5:1 compression and that little motor constantly surprised the crap outta me. it had 4.11 gears, a posi and a stock turbo 350 with a mild shift kit and i was killing stock 5.0's and camaro's with it. this was back in probably 94 i think so that was pretty impressive for an otherwise stock 305 especially with a torker intake

yeah I think the Air Gap is 2V only and the Performer is the 4V offering.

Yo 70Mach03, Is the 70 a Shaker setup? If so, you have to worry about intake height. Torker just fits, the Offy fits fine and I think the Weiand fits....

Yo 70Mach03, Is the 70 a Shaker setup? If so, you have to worry about intake height. Torker just fits, the Offy fits fine and I think the Weiand fits....

Yeap, I got a Weiand X-Celerator manifold under the Shaker Hood now and it sits a little higher than stock but does fit. It's probably a great manifold if you're wanting to turn 6500 rpms and beyond, but I'm not. I was just wanting to hear what other guys were running and if they liked what they had. This winter I'll probably go with a Edelbrock Performer 351 Cleveland - 4V.

Thanks for the responses, I was hoping to hear from someone who's used the Performer.

The Performer wont make big dyno numbers, dont get me wrong, but for part throttle cruising with a tall gear, it'll do real well

All depends on the use of the motor. A good rule to follow as Coz said, is Blue Thunder stuff, although keep in mind, its twice the price. Is 5-10 ft lbs of torque worth it? To some yes, but it all depends

honestly for a street cruiser that stays under 5500 the performer will be a great intake. even the blue thunder intake is rated up to 6500 for a 4v IIRC. for the money and cruisability the performer is gonna be tough to beat, if you want the most power possible and don't care what it costs the blue thunder wins hand down. i'd make my choices based on that