Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TStone

Hey COZ?

That is stock with 4 leaf in the back. Sitting at the time on 225/70-15. Rear tires now are 275/60-15 adding about .7 inches of tire in the well.

Opps - forgot - it has Monroe air shocks at 75#.

I think it's a cool stance but is more from my camera angle then a particular setup. You can see in my signature that the 275's fill up the well a bit more.

How do like the air shocks (ride quality?) last time I used'em , I was told their weren't any air shocks that would fit our vehicles - do you know what model they are?

Not a big fan of the air shocks - sloppy feel. Without a sway bar they aren't the best for any type of curve. Car came with them but once I figure out the suspension upgrades I will be going to a Koni or KYB adjustible shock and add a rear sway. I have the sway bar now but don't want to drill holes in the frame rail if I am going to change the stance in a few months.

I'll get you the model number - I know they are Monroe. One advantage though - I have the air fob in the trunk so adding pressure is easy.

I would appreciate it - I may keep that an option. I'm planning on doing my springs but can't decide what combo to go with. I really like the stance on yours but am also not a fan of air shock as they tend to ride like chit. Here are 2 others stances i'm looking at.

air shocks are bad news for the early stangs. i had a set on my car many years ago and they ended up breaking the top of the rear shock mounts going over a washboarded dirt road out at the lake. if you don't pump them up too high it's usually ok but even mine weren't all that high, about 80 psi or so.

that's pretty much how my car sits right now. my car and that car both have extended shackles in the rear though. if you want it that high in back you can either run stock springs with extended shackles (NOT recommended) or you can get the 1" raised 4 leaf springs. i also have 750 lb springs up front and no shelby drop, pretty rough ride for most people although it doesn't feel that bad in my car because it has ac, ps and auto along with the 351 so the extra weight helps tame the springs.

what i would recommend for your car would be stock replacement GT springs front and rear from detroit spring. another option you might want to consider are the racing shackles that a lot of the suppliers sell as they will allow you to adjust the rear springs up or down, they have 2 positions stock and i believe 1" higher than stock. the racing shackles will allow you to fine tune the ride height somewhat.

I think I'm jinxed... Came home today and walking by the Pony I see her hanging low in the rear. Check the air pressure - 0. Find the air tube to the right shock fell onto the exhaust and burned/rubbed a hole through it. No big deal but ...

Kinda like the lower rear look though... Just not that way.

I was thinking KYB adjustables all the way around and 620# springs up front to lower it an inch. Maybe 5 leaf and better shackles. That's the plan along with 4-wheel disc and new front suspension and rack. This winter if I can swing it.

B- I keep mine around 75# But don't really like the rear end response of the air shocks.

TStone - if I ditch the shocks you can have them for the cost of shipping.