Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protowrxs

Rocket Man

Just an interesting little story...

Tonight I was welding up holes in the engine bay and modifying the ill fitting EFI export brace. As usual I always double check things around the area to make sure I haven't left a plastic gas can or other combustionable around where I'm welding. Learned the hard way after setting a bag of recycle plastic afire across the garage once.

Anyhow, welded up the brace on one side and was grinding down the weld when I heard a pop and a woosh. WTF? Looked over and I see this flame spraying at from the shelf above my work bench about five or six feet away.

Took a second or two but I realized what it was and moved back out of the way just about the time it popped again this time shooting towards me.

Seems I had left an Estes rocket laying on the shelf with an engine in it facing towards the car. We were going to launch it but it's been way too windy around here. Apparently a spark from the grinder managed to make it's way into the tiny hole in the motor and ignited it letting it run it's course shooting the engine out when the final report fired.

Just call me Rocket Man I guess... lol

Seems you never can be safe enough I guess.

-Stephen

Just an interesting little story...

Tonight I was welding up holes in the engine bay and modifying the ill fitting EFI export brace. As usual I always double check things around the area to make sure I haven't left a plastic gas can or other combustionable around where I'm welding. Learned the hard way after setting a bag of recycle plastic afire across the garage once.

Anyhow, welded up the brace on one side and was grinding down the weld when I heard a pop and a woosh. WTF? Looked over and I see this flame spraying at from the shelf above my work bench about five or six feet away.

Took a second or two but I realized what it was and moved back out of the way just about the time it popped again this time shooting towards me.

Seems I had left an Estes rocket laying on the shelf with an engine in it facing towards the car. We were going to launch it but it's been way too windy around here. Apparently a spark from the grinder managed to make it's way into the tiny hole in the motor and ignited it letting it run it's course shooting the engine out when the final report fired.

Just call me Rocket Man I guess... lol

Seems you never can be safe enough I guess.

-Stephen

damn, did ya have to change your shorts? i sure would have had to

damn, did ya have to change your shorts? i sure would have had to

Heh... pretty much. At first I had no idea what was going on and then I realized what it was and remembered how it ends with a pop. At least it didn't take off around the garage which I guess would have been worse. It just got stuck on the shelve and spit fire at me.

BTW - I cleaned up the shelf to make sure there isn't a repeat.. lol

-Stephen