Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

369coupes

what do you think of the wrecks to riches 69 fastback?

i dont know about you but i find it hard to believe that any big time car builder actually runs into as many snags and surrounds himself with that many inept people on purpose (i do mean his employess not the fireman or whoever else helps him) but anyway , i thought the fast back was done good except for the way too huge rear rims/tires and the RESALE red but of couse that is the name of the show so i kinda understand it . i didnt much car for the wheels they chose at all , every car they build is all modern up to date then they give it a welcome back to the 70's stinkbug stance i dont get it i dont think id give that kinda money for the mustang

i hear ya man. how hard it is it to know the difference between a 157 tooth (the one they needed) flywheel and a 164 tooth (the one the originally got).

also did anyone besides me notice the extreme lack of "SUPER" in this "super muscle car"? come one now stock everything suspension wise except MAYBE poly bushings and a POS flaming river manual rack? ok the engine and e'brock injection were ok but everything else sucked. they also had deluxe door panels and standard black dash panels, the wheels sucked big time and you could see the machining marks through the paint. if i ever get rich remind not to buy anything from barry white.

i'd be willing to bet that most of our cars would run circles around that car on a track, any track, and especially on the twisty canyon roads. so it had nice paint big deal, my car has nice paint too, and it had baer brakes, not bad but for the money i think there are better options out there, no offense to all of those on the board with baer brakes, but i've been exploring big brake options and i think i've found a fairly inexpensive setup for my car. it won't have as much bling as a baer setup but should be plenty of brake and still fit in my 15' wheels. it hasn't left the prototype stages of my brain even yet but i'll go ahead and share it for anyone who wants to try it.

the plan is to use 12' rotors from a 72 t-bird, torino, mark iv etc. 12" rotor. it uses the same bearings as the 70 stang and by changing the bearing races you can also use the 69 bearings as well. for now i'll try making a spacer for the stock disc brake spindle that will allow the caliper mounting bracket to swivel backwards enough to allow clearance for the rotor, eventually i'll build a bracket to use either a 4 piston lincoln or t-bird caliper or possibly a 4 piston pbr caliper. before i actually try this setup i first need to verify the dimensions of the rotor primarily the height of the bearing snout to make it sure it will physically fit the mustang spindle but at this point i don't see it being a problem. i also have to come up with the 100 bucks a pop for the rotors or find a similar piece for less dough. unfortunately this isn't a very common rotor because it was a 1 year only part, in 71 they used an 11" rotor and in 73 they switched to the big car/truck 5x5" bolt pattern, at this point that is the only drawback.

I only saw then ending where it was way over sold. But it doesn't sound like I missed much. I was looking forward to seeing the "work" that was going into that car. Any pics handy? I will start searching myself as well.

So it sounds like I missed the conclusion? When was it on?

i watched it last night (tues) caught it in about the middle from what i saw they didnt show much of the work except in time lapses and what may i ask is wrong with a factory tape stripe ? i think the (auction???) part of the show is fixed or something i mean they may do it at areal auction but i bet they tell the auddience ok now were are going to to film this section for wrecks to riches please dont bid as this isnt really an auction , if you saw the episode where he did the 72 lemans/ 70 gto clone thing the same people were bidding on that hideous contraption not that i have anything against pontiacs ive owned several and the first car i ever drove was a70 lemans

The body looked good ,the wheel's were way too bling, for some reason the auction part of the show does'nt seem right,perhaps acted out, or perhaps I got too used to watching Barett Jackson.