Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protowrxs

Laurel Mountain Export Brace

FYI for those that might have looked at this item, mine arrived today. I had a chrome export but I want to use the EFI setup I have so I went this direction. (Anyone looking for a new chrome export?)

First off, packing was lacking.. just the brace in the box, no wrapping or packing, etc so right off the bat the power coating is worn and chipped. No biggie, I can repaint but makes one wonder.

It also seems to be even wider than the chrome one I had as you can see by the shock tower close up. Since I am using this to help relocate a replacement tower for the passenger side I guess this will be fine. The car HAS been sitting on jack stands under the shock towers so the tower may be moved in a bit but there is about 1/2" more to spread if the tower was not being replaced.

I'm also a little concerned if the rear holes are going to line up properly. Hard to tell until the mount is pushed down in the proper position I guess. Maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture yet.

The end of the pipes are open as well but since I'm going to have to re-paint it anyhow I'll likely take some sheet metal and weld up some caps for the open ends.

I'll update this thread with pics when I pull the existing brace and start on the shock tower if anyone is interested. In any manner I'm sure this will help me plant the new shock tower more precisely and get things squared up front much better than what I had. Just have to get a tower and start cutting I guess.

-Stephen

If it's an export brace for 65-70 under one part number then the firewall bolt holes aren't going to line up. You're gonna have to drill them.

Makes sense then... oh well, a few more holes in the old car isn't going to hurt much. Just seems like bull that nothing as such is mentioned when they sell it.

Thanks!

-Stephen

Update on this... Don't buy it....

I finally got around to messing with the thing and it it not worth the money. Crappy welding, odd firewall mount and cheap materials. The shock to firewall pipes were different lengths by 1/2" which looks like junk. I ended up cutting it up and am going to re-fit it and do it how I want it but you'd be better off buying some plate, pipe and angle steel and making your own at least for a 69-70 with late model EFI intake.

Just my opinion anyhow.

-Stephen