Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stangme

reassembly begins

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\

we hooked a battery up and crossed the starter terminals and got the beast to fire up, a bit rough, but she fired right up!!

still have a lot of connections to make, and had to climb under the car and manually shift gears, but with the car on four stands, we had the rear wheels spinning!!

we are going to work on making it driveable now, just so we can move it around easier, then we will start installing the new wiring harness. I think I will be lucky if I am actually driving it by fall, but after all this time it was big grin time to just hear it run.

next time we run it I will see if I can get video and sound on my camera and post it

awesome John!!!!! if it were me i'd have had to take a quickie spin around the block just for giggles

Oh man that would have been fun, but there is no dash in it, brakes need to be adjusted first, tranny linkage needs to be hooked up, no speedo (not that I need one anyway, just clock it, 30 second mile sounds about right).

Also need to figure out why we have one tail light on, figure with all the messing around with wires we crossed something, but we will get that sorted out when we redo the harness.

well, here we go again.

So, in order to occupy my time, I figured now was as good a time as any to get the guage panel ready to go. Mounted up the guages and started figuring out the wire harness that I ordered from EZ wiring. Hopefully next weekend, I can get back on track with the motor install.

oops thread revival...

can you share the info on your gauge cluster - i would like to put together the same unit-

i believe those are auto meter phantom gauges 5" speedo/tach and 2 1/16" on the others with a year one bezel correct?

these are the part numbers i have for the gauges - i couldnt find a 160mph elec speedo and tach like the phantom- if you have the part numbers listed it would be great!!!!

autometer ultra-lite

Oil pressure 4327 59.95

Water temp 4337 46.95

Voltage 4391 41.95

Fuel level 4314 41.95

Speedometer 4490 225.95

Tachomoeter 6856 289.95

thanks for your time..... GREAT BUILD!!!:tongue_smilie:

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!! Took the beast out for the first "true" drive in over seven years. My god it is a fire breathing monster! I did not romp hard on the engine since this was the first time it was really been run at speed. I will definately have to look into an overdrive unless I want to change the gears in the rearend, which I do not want to do.

Bnickel, that rearend you built is awesome, car launches like a rocket. I will run out of engine before tranny right now as I am running at about 3500 at 65 to 70 mph.

One thing I have to address right away though is the braking. I have a large vacuum on it, upgraded to a corvette master cylinder because we felt the one that came from SSBC was to small, but the problem seems to be that my cam doesn't allow enough vacuum to build at idle. First time you hit the brakes they work great, but if you pump the pedal it goes away.

Stangme428, you are correct on all the quages and cluster unit, I will try and find the receipts for them, I have them somewhere but I bought them all quite awhile ago.

Sorry I have not posted in a long time, the economy has put a severe damper on my financial situation, and I had to put the car on hold for over a year. Now we are just getting it together good enough so it is drivable since I won't be able to afford anymore goodies for some time. Oh well, at least it runs!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!! Took the beast out for the first "true" drive in over seven years. My god it is a fire breathing monster! I did not romp hard on the engine since this was the first time it was really been run at speed. I will definately have to look into an overdrive unless I want to change the gears in the rearend, which I do not want to do.

Bnickel, that rearend you built is awesome, car launches like a rocket. I will run out of engine before tranny right now as I am running at about 3500 at 65 to 70 mph.

One thing I have to address right away though is the braking. I have a large vacuum on it, upgraded to a corvette master cylinder because we felt the one that came from SSBC was to small, but the problem seems to be that my cam doesn't allow enough vacuum to build at idle. First time you hit the brakes they work great, but if you pump the pedal it goes away.

Stangme428, you are correct on all the quages and cluster unit, I will try and find the receipts for them, I have them somewhere but I bought them all quite awhile ago.

Sorry I have not posted in a long time, the economy has put a severe damper on my financial situation, and I had to put the car on hold for over a year. Now we are just getting it together good enough so it is drivable since I won't be able to afford anymore goodies for some time. Oh well, at least it runs!!!!!!!!!!!

glad to hear she is a running driving beast now!!!!!! glad the rear is also working so well for you, once you get that overdrive trans you'll have to cruise it down to west texas and take me for a spin.......man, i sure wish i hadn't needed to sell that rearend, it sounds like it would have been awesome in my car too!!!!!!, oh well at least it's getting used and that's what counts

I will definately do that B, maybe we can work it out to sometime do the Silver State Road run, that has always been in the back of my mind since I started this.

they have a similar run here in Texas down by Big Bend, that could be fun too.....

Finally taking her home, after four years. Runs like a raped ape for the most part, have a few bugs to still work out. Main problem seems to be fuel supply, the fuel pump that came with the Mass-Flo went out last month and we replaced it, however the new pump does not seem to pick up well. Going to pull it and make sure we installed it properly, also make sure it is pumping correctly. When the fuel is flowing properly, it flat out hauls..... Driving it for a few days, then back into the shop to iron out problems, but it has been well worth the wait.

Finally taking her home, after four years. Runs like a raped ape for the most part, have a few bugs to still work out. Main problem seems to be fuel supply, the fuel pump that came with the Mass-Flo went out last month and we replaced it, however the new pump does not seem to pick up well. Going to pull it and make sure we installed it properly, also make sure it is pumping correctly. When the fuel is flowing properly, it flat out hauls..... Driving it for a few days, then back into the shop to iron out problems, but it has been well worth the wait.