Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protowrxs

Shock Tower Replacement

Anyone done this before on a 69/70? I know Dan has replaced one (and more) but anyone else just replace a tower. The passenger side tower on my 69 has obviously been through heck and since I'm installing a shock tower reinforcement kit I am thinking I should replace the tower now as it will never happen otherwise.

Suggestions? Ideas?

The best reference I've found is here but it's pretty brief:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/19998/

Thanks

-Stephen

Mainly a bad fix job in the past it appears to me. "Normal" horizontal cracks were welded with about a 1/2" bead piled up everywhere but it appears the inner mount was pushed out at one time and they welded it back up as well with huge beads that appear to have burned through the front side of the tower and were ground back down. I've ground down most of it to try and see what is really there... looks like a mess.

At first I was leary to take on such a task but now I feel I should get it done with a new tower/suspension/engine mount. Looks like repos are only around $100+ per side anyhow.

What did/are you doing to keep things lined up and precise? That is my biggest fear is getting everything back to the way it should be. Of course the car has flexed so much nothing is where is should be now I guess... lol

I just purchased an integrated export/monte carlo bar from Laurel Mountain since I need something that will clear EFI anyhow and am thinking that if I bolt up the new tower to that it will keep things as perfect as possible. (Have a like new Chrome export brace now that's extra)

Any other problems so far?

Thanks!

-Stephen