Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bobs_mach

Shell is coming along

Here are some of the latest pics of my 69 mach resto. The shell is welded up, and now is getting an overdose of sanding and filler on the underbody and engine compartment! It's going to take a while, but so far so good. The shop is spraying the sanding primer this week, then more sanding, and finally a coat of chassis black! After that the outer bodywork begins. It's hard to wait for my Saturday morning trips to the shop.

Looks familiar. You live with these cars and spend so many hours on your own that it seems like it in unique in the world, and then you see another one and you realize others have the same kind of connection to a similar car.

I guess you could say they are like people- all with the same architecture, but none are exactly the same.

I never thought of body filler on the engine compartment but I'll bet it helps clean it up. Keep posting!

Looks familiar. You live with these cars and spend so many hours on your own that it seems like it in unique in the world, and then you see another one and you realize others have the same kind of connection to a similar car.

I guess you could say they are like people- all with the same architecture, but none are exactly the same.

Thats a pretty heavy comment maaaannn. :yinyang: But your right on the money IMO.

The filler in the engine compartment was originally to clean up some earlier welding and panel replacement years ago that was not done well. There were also some ugly welds where the inner frame rails welded to the torque box, and where the rear framerails were relaced by the rear wheelwells. There was also a long ugly seam where a floor was replaced. The resto shop got picky, and decided to make all traces of the surgeries disappear. They really are a first rate shop. We then started filling in all the tiny pock marks from where rust was blasted away, and then they really started turning the engine compartment and trunk into a showpiece. Probably cost me an extra grand or two, but hey I've been holding onto this car for 19 years (got it when I was 17) so I figure it's ok to splurge! going to see it tomorrow....more pics to follow