Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam3512

Convert Top Cylinder Explosion

If you guys remember, my original driver's side cylinder piston blew a gasket a couple weeks ago. I bought two new cylinders, and lines from Mustangs Unlimited. I took it to a friend for installation. He's been working on convertibles for 30 years. Got the new repro stuff in, and while testing the top one of the new cylinders exploded. Fluid everywhere! I promptly called MU, and they agreed to exchange it for another only after they send UPS to pick up the damaged one. Wouldn't even consider sending another until they got the old damaged one. So there my car sits until the new one is sent. I've spent alot of money there recently, and it pisses me off that there will be a delay. My guy said the weld/crimp in the bottom blew out. I know the repros aren't the quality of the originals (much lighter), but this crap shouldn't happen. MU even admitted they've had them blow before. Real comforting!

Mustangs Unlimited? I know your disappointed with their delay but what they are doing is reasonable, that said I think some of the other companys like NPD probably would have sent you one out ASAP. They just have great customer service. If they have had some explode before and know its a problem why havent they addressed it though? Not very comforting indeed.

I've had some less than positive experiences with Paddock, MU, and Year One. NPD is so fast, so reliable, easy to reach on the phone, outstanding catalogue, and maybe most importantly, the delivery is spot-on. I can order from the SoCal warehouse and mark 2 business days on the calendar and it's always there by then . . . it's worth the slight premium (for me) you might pay over MU. Never any :sweatdrop: with NPD.

The only thing NPD is missing is the ability to order online but how can you complain with 24 hour phone support.

Sometimes it does pay to shop around though. I needed a new dimmer switch and i of course bought it from NPD for somewhere around $50 just because i was placing a big order with them already. However i just happened to look AFTERWARDS in a few other catalogs who had them for $20ish, but for the most part NPD is always cheapest.

The paddock is really high and so is Year one. I havent looked at MU lately.

Back on topic, I hope the next one holds together for ya so you can get her back on the road :)

i've never had a problem with MU. i order almost exclusively from them and usually try to buy at least 30 bucks worth of stuff so i can get the free shipping. i've only ever ordered from 2 different places than MU and that was NPD and American pony. can't say that i'll ever buy from NPD again either. i got my shelby sidescoops from them and had to cut out the opening for the grilles, worst part was i had to guess where to cut since there were no mold lines that showed the location nor were there any instructions or warnings even from the counter guys. i'll just stick with MU from now on unless i can get the same thing from american pony for cheaper

I think everyone has their favorite for a reason and when you stumble on good luck you tend to stick with it. I use Virginia Classic alot and have yet to have an issue they did not rectify immediately. I had even forgot about an issue for over 6 months once. They originally sent me one 69' Shelby scoop grill and one 67' where the grateing goes the other way. Well I called immediately and the guy said "it's out of stock, keep the 67' one and we will send you another 69' one when they come in". Well, it wasn't until I went to work on the scoops that I remembered about it and with a simple explanation I had the right part in a couple of days.

I still swear by Florida Mustang too, best service of my life. I was thinking about trying CJ Pony parts for the first time just because they have some custom emblems I want that I have yet to find else where, like a 302 version of the hood scoop emblem for example.

They promised me the replacement cylinder shipped to the shop on Friday. This job should have been done on Monday. Hope they both last, the explosion made one hell of a mess. I've ordered alot of stuff from MU since getting the car. On the first large order, they just "forgot" to ship some stuff. I called, and they made good on just my word. I don't mind a scre-up on occassion, as long as they remedy it with no headaches on my end. Will keep you guys posted.