Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stlpipeman

Fuel Gauge Blues...

Has anybody installed an aftermarket ( autometer, sun, etc.) fuel level gauge in their '69? Using the stock sending unit. If so, details please. I'm at that point after many failed attemps to get the factory gauge working properly.

Mine was pretty striaght forward, however, I installed a new gas tank and sending unit at the same time.

I found out later the reason I was having so much difficulty getting the meter to read was because the junk/crud in-between the tank and the sending unit mount was corroded.

My suggestion would be to drain the tank and thouroughly clean the area with some sand paper so that you have a good metal to metal contact, this is the ground for the sending unit.

My problem was that when I grounded the new meter, I could rub the grounding wire along different parts of the car and get differnet readings. Even if I ran the ground all the way back to the sending unit itself.

So make sure you have a good clean surface and a properly working sending unit.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I've replaced the tank, sending unit, circuit board, gauge, and 12-6 volt reducer/transformer on my '69 boss clone. I've determined the power to the gauge is hit or miss. I had the fuel gauge working by running a wire from the oil pressure post to the fuel gauge post. Bolted the pod and dash pad back together and... nothing again, ARGH! After much frustration, I'm gonna go with an aftermarket gauge 12 volt gauge. I'm looking at the autometer line and thinking about puting one in the stock location of my oil pressure gauge. Anybody done this? I understand I can use my stock sending unit if I find a gauge that requires 73 empty 10 full on the OHMs.

Yup, look at my cardomain site on the first page, I used the Phantom line, it is really easy to do the outside gauges. And just make sure you order the one with the right Ohms and you should be good to go.