Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

indianfiremach

69 Mach 1 Interior color change?

Hey everyone, my 69 Indian Fire Mach 1 is going in for paint next week, and I have to decide what interior color to go with, since it affects my choice of side stripes. It was originally a white interior car, but was changed to black long ago. I need to replace the door panels, headliner, and at least the front seats, so the existing color probably doesn't matter very much. However, it does have a fold down seat and the factory transition from the white panels to the black ones are awkward (in my opinion) at best.

Originally it would have the gold side stripes, with the black out hood and white interior. I was thinking a more attractive look would be the blacked out hood, black side stripes, and black interior. The car has been this (black interior) combination for probably 20 years. I think it has a more even flow of colors.

What do you all think about going from stock interior color? I'm not doing this car for resale, at least that's not what I'm planning on. It's going to be a driven show car, not judged for points.

if you're referring to the black dash/white doors transition, you can actually get a white dash these days, can't remember who from though. I was planning on a white interior as well, and I think you can get everything in white (except the carpet, probably a bad idea there ;) ) . a white dash could yellow in the sun, though . . . might want some sort of sun shield . . .

if you're referring to the black dash/white doors transition, you can actually get a white dash these days, can't remember who from though. I was planning on a white interior as well, and I think you can get everything in white (except the carpet, probably a bad idea there ;) ) . a white dash could yellow in the sun, though . . . might want some sort of sun shield . . .

DO NOT GET A WHITE DASH. The glare from the sun on the dash will practically blind you. They only sell them in white so you can die them red or green or whatever color.

Sorry i guess i should say don't leave the dash white. Only get the white dash if you plan on dyeing it. Take some white paper and tape it to your black dash and drive the car on a sunny day and you'll see what i mean.

The transition between white to black I was talking about was of the rearmost panels of the backseat, the front 1/4 trims would be white, as would the headliner, sail panels, and hockey stick trim, but then the panels the latches go into are black as is the trap door and the panel above the backseat. An abrupt change of colors but that's how it was done. Cars with other color interiors did not have this transition, they were all one color.

how about just painting that panel? There are a number of interior paints out there - I think one just came out - it was in the last Mustang Monthly on the SEMA page - that duplicates the original finish very well. I might be able to find that if you don't get MM.

I'm a fan of white interiors on red cars, and I think Indian Fire was one of the best reds. So count one guy in the white interior camp . . .

hmm, maybe I'll try the white paper on black dash trick just to see how bad it would be, cause I was hoping to go that way and I hate the black dash/white interior transition . . . maybe another color dash with a white interior, ginger? (off the top of my head)

My 1st 69Mach1 was Indianfire with black interior and I liked it very much. BUT when I bought this one - candyapple red with white I really liked it.

The carpet, dash and rear deck/trap door is black and the sails, liner, seats, door panels and side panels are white. White is tougher to keep clean and the weave in the seats show dirt - but I keep it clean. I'm about to redo my seats and side panels. Will recover the seats with TMI (white with red stripe) and paint the side panels. I've seen the Eastwood paint and it matches great.

White dash - yuck!

I'm going to try to post some pictures finally....

The transition between white to black I was talking about was of the rearmost panels of the backseat, the front 1/4 trims would be white, as would the headliner, sail panels, and hockey stick trim, but then the panels the latches go into are black as is the trap door and the panel above the backseat. An abrupt change of colors but that's how it was done. Cars with other color interiors did not have this transition, they were all one color.

Yeah that's mine also but I like it. I think the trap door wouldn't look good in white...

I'm a fan of white interiors on red cars, and I think Indian Fire was one of the best reds. So count one guy in the white interior camp . . .

I'm with 70vert. Your car's factory colors are a very nice combination. Besides, it seems that everyone has a black interior in their 69.

I remember around 1980 or so that I could have bought a mint all original indian fire mach with white interior and a 428 Cobra Jet for $2,000. I knew I would never forgive myself for not buying it. It even had air.