Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wantahertzdonut

What and Where do you have front speakers?

I had planned to hook up the door speakers as the front speakers and take out the Pile driver unit, I think it would have sounded better that way. Ford just didn't design these cars for good sound.

indianfire, thanks, that was a great explanation of what's going on in a convertible and good to hear from another convertible owner too. Right now with the pile drivers in front and crappy rear speakers, I fade most of the power to the back and it's OK but still as you describe. I feel that when I add the door speakers spliced in with the rear speakers it will hopefully balance out.

Did you play with the fader and send more power to the door speakers?

I love that idea of the front-facing speaker on the rear armrest, since my rear qtr. panel is already hacked into I might look into it . . .

Update: door speakers are in (from NPD), they sound great for their size, look even better. They, along with my previous-owner-cut-into-quarter-panel rear speakers, help balance the too-powerful Piledriver dash speaker. They fill out the mids a little, give more fullness to the sound. It was good enough that when Rage Against the Machine's Killing in the Name came on the radio, they were able to handle THAT.

I still am thinking about kick panel speakers, or the maybe forward-facing in the rear quarters, 'cause just a little more might totally balance out that dash speaker . . .

What about deleting the fresh air vents and putting speakers in there? At the Silver Springs event I saw a guy who had 10's in the air vents.

I have to admit that I have a mental block when it comes to altering the original interior too much - I want to keep an original-style interior - but since I have a convertible the air vents are kind of stupid anyway. ;) Good idea there.

I'd love to see pics of that setup. You could even leave the lever there as a speaker cooler. :rolleyes:

You can buy already molded side panels. If you want to modify your stock ones more you cane make a ring out of mdf wood and fiberglas around it. You then cover it with suede and add metal strips to the back of the panel to make it stronger with epoxy. I did it on several mustangs already. I recommend 6.5 component speakers with tweeters on the A pillar.