Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreaseMonkey

Finished getting the chrome crap off my car... pics

Anybody who saw my posts in the introduce yourself thread saw what my car looked like when I got it, it had this ugly plastic chrome stuff on the fenders and along the bottom of the doors, well I finally finished getting it off today.

for people who didnt see my other posts, this is what it looked like before:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/spagin_41/PICT0002-2S.jpg

and now:

PICT0011-RS.jpg

you can see all the crap that got left from the plastic being glued on, still gotta get that off.

also I found something pretty interesting when I popped the fender chrome off...

PICT0004-RS.jpg

yeah, that says CAMARO 82-91:eek:

and just to remind whoever put that crap on there what kind of car this is...

PICT0003-RS.jpg

and this shows more of the glue crap. exept its not just glue, its this nasty rubbery foamy stuff that I have no clue how to get off easily.

also you might notice it hasnt moved anywhere since the last pics. thats cuz the clutch doesnt seem to want it to. im probably going to take it apart soon to try and see what the problem is.

LOL!!! Camaro chrome, no wonder it was hideous looking. At least the car is in good hands now. At least it came off easy enough, there is probably something that can take that foam off with out doing any damage. I'll do some searching and see what i can come up with.

cool, thanks for that. Its not that big of a deal cuz im eventually gonna have it totally stripped down and repainted, as you can tell the paint is pretty bad on most of the car. but I do want to try to keep it from looking any worse that it already does for now lol.

I can't remember who makes it (I think it's 3M) but there's a rubber wheel that body shops use to remove that stuff that dosen't hurt the paint at all. If I remember right it fits on the end of a drill. I know you said you where going to repaint it but i thought i'd just add that info.

If that rubber stuff is what I'm thinking it is, the best way I've removed that in the past was with electric motor cleaner from a hobby shop. It's been years and I think they may prohibit making stuff with 111 trichlorethane, but if you can get it, removing that stuff should be a snap. It'll be messy though and I can't guarantee the safety of your paint.

None of my remedies worked?

well at first i thought it was just some regular glue, but then i realized it was this nasty foam stuff once i got more of the plasic off. Still may try and see what lighter fluid does to it.

thanks for the relplies, ill probably look for some of the other stuff to try soon and let you all now how it works.

LOL! I check my email and see that someone has reported a post and then i see this... Well at least we know that function works now

Heh heh, yeah, thought I might as well test the system function while I was having some fun.

GM, any of the liquid remedies should soak right thru the foam stuff. Get a cheap, flexible, disposable type of plastic putty knife, squirt or wipe the stuff on and then just scrape it off. Once you get the bulk off and it's just glue remnents you can use something along the lines of an old racquet ball (anything soft rubber) as an eraser to pick up the final sludge.