Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stangme

aluminum radiator

well next item up is a new radiator for the 351w, I've looked at Griffin and Becool, but I would like to stay under $500. Has anyone run across any other companies that offer a good quality aluminum radiator for a 69? While we're at it I am also checking out electric fans, Old Air products has a nice two fan setup, any other recommendations?

hi

i bought mine from summit.i keeps my 40 over cleveland cool in traffic even with out a shroud.you need to also get the mountig kit with it.it is not a direct bolt in.it was 169 a year ago.hth :)

matt

personally i would just use a regular copper/brass rad, i have a three core in mine with a shroud and it can idle all day without overheating, and it's just a three core, imagine what a good 4 core would do. granted they are heavier than an alum rad but i think the money for the alum rad could be spent in better places.

good point B, so who makes a good three or four row unit? Reason I was thinking aluminum was not to save weight so much as I figured they were just made a lot better. I plan on putting AC in eventually, so thats a consideration too.

my car has ac as well so that should be a problem. do you currently have a 20" rad or the 24"? if you already have the 24" i would just take it to a good local readiator shop and have them re-core it, that's what i did. i found out that's the best way to do it since the repro rad have really small core tubes the original and the re-core tubes are much bigger and flow more. it's also usually less expensive goint that route, otherwise you can a get a re-core MODINE rad from most vendors like mustangs unlimited, there is a reason why the re-core rads are more expensive than the repro's and the tube size is why. i think a lot of people switch to the alum rads after installing a repro rad thinking that the problem is the original rads don't cool as well, when the problem is that just used a cheap aftermarket repro rad with core tubes that are just too small.

Well i have the 26"x19" crossflow aluminum unit from Northern Radiator. This is the same ones that summit carries. I needed one with the automatic trans cooler so i went with the northern. It does require mods to the trans cooler lines, as they are on the drivers side of the radiator. I'm also gettting ready to install a Zirgo 3300cfm 16" electric fan with a SPAL PWM controller. The radiator is as large as you can go in order to fit it between the frame rails. Mine did require relocating the battery to the trunk, although you might be able to modify the battery tray to get it to work. I think i needed 1/4" more room on the battery trays side and i had been planning relocating it for awhile anyways. Here is a pic of the setup. I am using the stock saddle mounts for now until i can fab something up out of aluminum. One note worth adding, the 69's had the radiator hoses both on the passenger side. Another fellow used the drivers lower, passenger upper radiators and just found a long upper radiator hose to stretch to the drivers side and i think the radiator was an universal MOPAR? unit. LMan is his username on the VMF (vintage-mustangs.com). Hope this helps.

dcp_0010a.jpg[/img]