Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bswor

Mustang Steve 13" cobra brake kit group buy?

I don't understand, how did you miss out on the group buy? I thought there was a slot or two open still?

It's not that I missed out because the buy was filled, but rather I just can't justify it right now. I've already got front discs, so I'm hesitant to spend the extra coin for bigger brakes right now. But I've got to admit, every day, I think about it a bit more...

If there are still slots open, some damn drum brake folks should be all over this!

Well i need to replace my 8" open 3:00 ratio rear so im still contemplating at this point pakrat. I would like some discs out back so we will see. The reason for going to possibly a 9" is because in the future i will want to drop something with some more grunt in. There are to many options on all the things i want to do besides the rear end. I'm just taking it one small step at a time. But the ultrastang conversion looks like a good read im going to check it out.

Well for those of you who got in on the group buy. I got my ups tracking number the other day and the brakes are out for delivery right now! Woohoo cant wait. I'll take some pics and post them. Getting them on the car is another story...

All right, good news then, I will check out Ultrastang, thanks for the tip Brian! I just know that I won't be able to stand the look of the rear drums once I get the front prettied up, especially with 17" rims showing everythig behind them in full sight.

I agree totally Buddha. I have been living with my drums for too long but hesitant to spend the average $1200 +/- that most kits seem to cost, not to mention all the stuff you have to change out to do them. It would seem that since it is also best to to start with drums and not discs on this setup that my procrastination will finally have paid off. :lol:

Yo Nickel, got any specifics as to where on UltraStangs site that rear disc conversion info is? I looked in what I thought was the logical place and all I see is a versaille 9' converison?!?!??!?!?!

Well, I spoke to Edbert, here's what he ahd to say:

I used an off-the-shelf kit from Wilwood, the rotors are 12.25 inch. Wont help with the matching calipers but it was cheaper than my solution for the fronts and did bolt right up. I have some pictures here:

http://www.edbert.net/axle.htm

I also checked out the ultrastang link and it seems I have choices from several cars that would work with his bracket, of course they won't match the front set though. This does seem to contradict Edberts claim of it biolting right up though unless the wilwood is designed to be that way? VS. modding off a parts car as Ultra suggests?

I also talked to Mustang Steve, he mentioned that an 86 SVO Mustang works fine which is on Ultra's list too, but he didn't say anything about a bracket for it?!?!??!?! Any thoughts on that?

Am I being too picky about what the back set up will look like? Most folks I talk too run smaller discs out back than upfront anyway, and several have left the drums as well so what is the best way to go do you think? Also, does anyone know what the 94- 04 cobra's run out back?

I'm thinking I should just do a more general question about it to get more replies eh?

i'm pretty sure you can buy drilled rotors for the MK VII and the SVO as well. as for the rear brakes on the cobra they used single piston PBR's and visually (at least from the wheel) you can't really tell the difference between them and the SVO/MK VII anyway.